Barton Town Old Boys beat Worksop Town 2-0 to give the hosts a lifeline to beat the drop.
Second half goals from Lee Shilleto and Gary Bradshaw gave the hosts a much needed three points at the Easy Buy stadium.
Worksop started brightly and in the 2nd minute striker Kyle Jordan received the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the box, he spun and hit a fierce shot that went agonisingly wide of the Barton goal.
Barton came into the game more and nearly took the lead in the 6th minute, when a great ball by Lee Fisher met the head of Paul Foot at the back post, he steered a header over Jon Kennedy but Steven Wankiewicz was on the line to clear the ball.
Just before the half hour mark the Tigers gave away a penalty. Sam Weston chased down a loose ball and in attempting to clear his lines he caught Old Boys winger Will Waudby instead. The referee had no choice but to point the spot, Gary Bradshaw stepped up to take the penalty but missed after a great save by Kennedy down to his right.
Worksop had a good chance early in the second half when fans favourite Adam Scott had a 22 yard strike that was drilled low and just wide of the Barton goal.
The Swans took the lead in the 57th minute when a throw in on the left hand side caused havoc in the Worksop box. Lee Shilleto hit a shot that deflected off two Worksop players and ended up in the back of the net to give Barton the lead.
Ten minutes later and Barton doubled their lead from another set piece, Ryan Williams swung a dangerous cross towards the front post which was flicked on by James Williamson to Barton striker Gary Bradshaw who pounced on the ball to strike his shot into the roof of the net.
Worksop were poor for most of the game and the only chance on goal we had after going 2 down was a 84th minute shot from new signing Julian Lawrence. Lawrence was 20 yards out and the ball moved in the air due to windy conditions but didn’t really trouble the goalkeeper.
A minute later there was drama and a miserable day for the Tigers was made worse when Scott was sent off for a second yellow. The incident started when Waudby pushed sub Jacob Rickards in the face and tempers between both sets of players seem to boil over. The referee had a word with his linesman who then decided to give Scott his marching orders and Worksop finished the game with ten men.
Kennedy, Weston, Lawrence, Wankiewicz, Parkin, Loftus (Rickards 62), Booth (Wesley 67), Waddle, Scott, Husbands, Jordan(c)
Unused subs: Birch, Pickersgill
Attendance: 170
Bookings: Scott (29) Husbands (29)
Sent off: Scott (85)

Report by Luke Atherton


Leave a Reply