AFC Mansfield 3-1 Worksop Town

The Bulls Come From Behind To Beat The Tigers.

The Tigers opened the scoring through Charlie Baird but a second half comeback from the hosts won the game thanks to goals from Oliver Fearon and a brace from Matt Plummer.

Mitch Husbands had scored five goals in his past five games and the captain went close in the opening five minutes of the game. He received the ball on the edge of the box via a good run and pass from Overton. Mitch spun his man and fired towards goal however the keeper caught comfortably.

The home side thought they had taken the lead ten minutes in. Oliver Fearon saw his header from the corner saved by Tigers debutant Diggles from close range. Plummer reacted first to hit it towards goal but Jay Bownes blocked the chance on the line despite many people in the crowd thinking that the ball had crossed the line.

AFC Mansfield were in on goal once again but couldn’t find that finishing touch they had shown all season. Philip Buxton volleyed Dudley’s cross over the top towards goal but Diggles got down and held onto the attempt.

Mansfield’s captain then went close to opening the scoring twenty-five minutes into the game. Matthew Wilson rose highest in the box and redirected Buxton’s corner towards goal. The header beat the keeper however, the returning Michael Trench was alert enough to head it off the line.

Cameron Dear was causing the Worksop backline many problems with his quick movement and feet. He broke through the defence but saw his efforts blocked by a good tackle from Alex Boyd.

Worksop eventually managed to break the Bulls’ dominance in the first period. The ball fell to Charlie Baird twenty yards from goal. Baird took aim but unfortunately hit it just over the bar.

On the stroke of halftime, the whole ground was in disbelief as AFC Mansfield were denied a clear goal. After a scramble in the box, Skipper Matt Wilson hammered the ball towards goal. Diggles pushed the ball into the roof of the net before the ball was kicked away from goal. The referee didn’t blow for the goal and play continued.

The halftime whistle sounded with the game somehow still goalless at the Forest Town Arena.

Worksop took a surprisingly lead three minutes after restart. Joel Phillips held the ball up on the left-hand side before crossing into the centre where Charlie Baird nipped in front of the keeper to nod into the goal and send the travelling Tigers faithful into raptures.

The home side struck the post moments after the Tigers’ opener. Plummer headed Ghaichems deep freekick across goal but, unfortunately for the Mansfield defender, on the post.

Mansfield were on level terms just after the hour mark. Liam Marsden looped the ball over the head of Alex Boyd for Oliver Fearon who rifled his side-foot volley straight past the keeper. This was Fearons 36th League goal of the campaign.

Minutes later, Plummer saw his ferocious shot at goal saved well down low by Diggles.

AFC Mansfield went ahead with twenty minutes to go. Cameron Dear got in behind the defensive line of Worksop and accelerated towards goal. Diggles came out and saved Dears initial shot however Plummer was on hand to slot in the rebound.

The league leaders’ turn around was complete on 75 minutes as Plummer bagged his brace. Plummer powered Buxton’s well executed set-piece into the ground but more importantly for AFC, into the bottom corner.

In the dying stages, Mansfield had another chance to extend their lead. Bradley McDonald latched onto Buxton’s through ball and skipped past the challenge of Boyd but then subsequently dragged his shot wide of the post.

The final whistle went to add another defeat to Worksop’s season, eight losses on the bounce to be exact, but it also put Mansfield further ahead of promotion rivals Pontefract who lost 1-0 to Penistone Church. We would like to give a big shoutout to the impeccable Worksop Town supporters who sung their hearts out all game giving us classics such as ‘YOU! I’m gunna take you to a Dunbar’ and ‘Here comes the Luke in Black’.

We next face Rainworth Miners Welfare on Wednesday night where we welcome back some familiar faces to Sandy Lane in Kyle Jordan, Craig Denton, Alex Nightingale, Steve Wankiewicz, Nathan Modest and Jack Waddle.

Attendance: 181

Goals: Fearson (64’), Plummer (69’, 75’); Baird (48’)

Lineup: Diggles, Holden, Sutton (Beaumont), Trench, Boyd, Bownes, Black (Mlynarski), Baird, Husbands, Phillips (Dunbar), Overton

Unused Subs: Alexander, Robinson

Leave a Reply