The very first round of the FA Cup ended in an action packed draw and will now lead to a Tuesday night replay in Leicestershire.

A terrific first half was matched by an equally exciting second. The game brought drama along with some easy on the eye football to make for a great FA Cup spectacle.

It took just four minutes for the Tigers to break the deadlock with Kyle Jordan getting on the end of a long ball forward to hammer in a volley which was just too powerful for Shepsheds number one.

A crazy few minutes saw a suspect Shepshed penalty saved impressively by big Dave Reay, then followed by a splendid equaliser for the away side from midfielder Karl Whymark as he cut inside and unleashed an unstoppable effort into the far corner.

Worksop then won a penalty of their own as Kyle Jordan ghosted past his man and was tripped. The prolific KJ then picked himself up to slot the penalty into the corner comfortably to give us back the advantage.

The game continued to improve with both sides having several chances, Dave Reay making a smart save with his feet to deny a Shepshed forward and Craig Mitchell bustling his way through two defenders to crash his effort off the bar and see it bounce back into play.

All this came after Shepsheds striker Ryan Robbins was shown his marching orders for a suspected elbow.

The second half period brought more of the same and the visitors soon equalised. Striker Matt Melbourne was felled by Max Pemberton in the box but picked himself up to round the keeper and slot home.

Kyle Jordan could have had an hat-trick but mistimed his chance and the ball bounced into the keepers hands.

The Tigers then regained the lead, Steve Woolley’s corner found its way out to Connor Brunt lurking on the edge of the box and the strikers volley was hit into the ground but looped over everybody and found the bottom corner.

Shepshed then hit back again with the goal of the day. Liam Prenderville took aim from thirty yards and his shot sailed into the top corner drawing an applause from around all corners of the ground.

Tomas Poole then had a chance late on for Worksop having been sent one on one with the keeper but could only divert his shot into his hands as he reduced the angle.

The game then came to a close after a frenetic 90 minutes and we now look forward to another exciting game away to Dynamo on Tuesday night.

LINE UP: Reay, Atherton, Trench, Pemberton, Wankiewicz, Woolley (Poole), Price (C), Patterson, Jordan (Nyoni), Brunt, Mitchell (Sykes)

SUBS NOT USED: B. Wilson, Goodwin, Royles, Simpson

ATT: 341

MOM: Steve Woolley


Leave a Reply