Sheffield F.C. U19s 3-0 Worksop Town U19s

Tigers defeated comfortably in League opener.

The home side took an early lead as Alfie Eagle powered his shot in off the bar. Their lead was increased in the second period as Wilson deflected a clearance into the net. Sam Morley then tapped home the third with fifteen minutes remaining and FC ran out victors.

Sheffield took the lead in the opening two minutes of the game. Alfie Eagle burst down the left flank before entering the box and rifling an effort in off the underside of the crossbar.

Moments later, the home side had two chances to add to their tally. Iren Wilson was threaded through on goal by Ehsan Mohammed but James Gamble rushed off his line and deflected the ball away to safety. Mitchison picked up the loose ball and switched it to the left where Mohammed took it in his stride before firing across the face of goal and wide.

Town had their first chance ten minutes into the contest. Jack Shaw floated a free-kick into the area which was headed out to Harley Brown who flashed his half-volley over the bar.

James Gamble then produced a fine save to keep out Alfie Eagle’s well hit free-kick which was twenty-five yards away from goal.

A quarter into the game, Bobby Thompson slipped Aaron Mushet through on goal but as the striker pulled the trigger, Sam White produced an important slide challenge to put the ball behind for a corner which Alfie Smith glanced wide of the upright.

Worksop’s first major opportunity came in the twentieth minute. Bobby Thompson dinked the ball down the line to Aaron Mushet who out-paced his man and pulled the ball back for Darrian whose low driven shot was well held by Ben Woodcock.

Minutes after, Hutchinson missed a glorious chance to double the lead. Mohammed swung an excellent ball towards the back stick where Lewis Hutchinson sliced his attempt wide of the upright despite having a third of the goal to aim at.

With five minutes of the half to go, Gamble produced another string of fine saves to deny the host’s. Firstly, Mitchison volleyed a bouncing ball in the box towards goal which was superbly tipped wide of the far post. Following the corner, the ball fell to the feet of Mohammed in the box who hit an effort on the swivel but Gamble had already accelerated out and held onto the shot.

FC almost started the second half like the first as they went close two minutes in. Iren Wilson weaved his way towards the edge of the area before pulling his effort wide of the front post.

Moments later, Sam Morley was in acres of space on the right but opted to take his shot early as he saw his fierce strike parried away from goal by the Tigers number one.

‘The Worlds First’ doubled their lead in unusual fashion. Iren Wilson chased down a back pass to Gamble whose clearance deflected off Wilson and nestled into the side-netting.

On the hour mark, Ben Mitchison glanced over a pin point cross by Alfie Eagle.

Regan Watkinson saw his long range drive caught well by Gamble who stood strong to pull the ball towards his midriff.

The host’s added a third goal with less than a quarter to go. The dangerous run of Alfie Eagle ended with the full-back fizzing a cross towards the centre where an unmarked Sam Morley was on hand to volley past the keeper.

Sheffield FC had a few half chances right at the death with Watkinson and Wilson but kept the ball well and saw out the game to confirm that the Tigers would open their campaign with a defeat.

We next travel to Dronfield Town on Thursday, 20th September where we look to get our season on track.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 78
Goals: Eagle (2’), Wilson (53’), Morley (76’)

Worksop Town: James Gamble, Sam Jones (Ryan Delello), Harley Brown, Liam Smart (Frazer Russell), Alfie Smith, Deegan Atherton, Jay Evison, Jack Shaw (Cameron Hunt), Isaac Darrinan, Aaron Musket (Alfie Doddsworth), Bobby Thompson (Callum Howell)

Leave a Reply