The Tigers crashed out of the FA Vase on a miserable afternoon in Winsford.

Worksop, setting up as they left Hemsworth in a 3-5-2 formation never really got started and found themselves 1-0 down at half time. Denton made a triple substitution and changed to 4-3-3 in the second half but the game rapidly disappeared out of the Tigers grasp as they conceded another four.

After a first half devoid of any real quality from either side the whistle blew with the home side holding a slender lead.

Chances were hard to come by for both, Matt Reay twice headed over from corner kicks having seemed to have lost his marker both times.

Soon after, on the 23rd minute, Winsford took the lead. An unusual error in the middle from Steve Woolley led to the home side running at the back line, the centre-backs failed to clear their lines and the ball was put across for Peter Watling who beat Dave Reay to the ball to eventually slot in an open goal after Matt Reay had raced back to block his initial effort.

Worksop improved as the half was coming to a close, firstly Tomas Pooles lobbed effort from range bounced inches past the post and then Max Pemberton intercepted the ball after a throw in, drove forward to drive a fierce shot goalwards but the keeper matched his shot with a smart save.

The second half was ten minutes long before Denton rang the changes. The gaffer reverted back to a 4-3-3 with a triple substitution, Sykes, Simpson and Mitchell replacing Jordan, Poole and Goodwin.

Tigers couldn’t recover from the lacklustre start and it soon got worse as David Short put the hosts two up on the 67th minute. Centre back Matt Reay could only clear it as far as Short and he gratefully ran through un-challenged into the box to blast in at the near post.

Things didn’t improve and Winsford killed the game six minutes later. Another error in the Tigers defence left Scott Taylor able to square the ball for Peter Watling to easily tap in his second goal from close range.

Worksop almost hit back five minutes later, Mark Simpson’s inviting cross for Craig Mitchell was perfect for the big striker to nod in at the back post but the chance was denied as a Winsford defender got his head to the ball at the last minute to flick out for a corner.

The home side soon continued their onslaught and got a fourth in some style with seven minutes remaining. Dave Reay came out to clear his lines but the home side won it back, the ball bounced invitingly for striker Peter Watling 35-yards out and he tried his luck with a volley that looped up and over Reay in goal, who’d seemed to have recovered his position.

Just two minutes later the hosts grabbed their fifth and final goal as a vulnerable Tigers were caught up-field. A tired pass was intercepted and Winsford countered with Thomas Fisher smashing in the goal after scruffy attempts to stop the inevitable.

The final whistle then blew on a dismal afternoon for all concerned with the Club, the result will make for an interesting spectacle next weekend against Handsworth Parramore as we now focus all our energies towards the league.

TEAM: Reay, Woolley, Trench, Wilson, Reay, Pemberton, Patterson, Goodwin (Sykes), Price (C), Poole (Simpson), Jordan (Mitchell)

SUBS NOT USED: Royles, Brunt

GOALS: Watling (23, 73, 82), Short (67), Fisher (86)

ATT: 150

By Jake Brown

Leave a Reply