Sheffield FC 1-3 Worksop Town

Tigers come from behind to progress into the next round of the Senior Cup

The game started quite end to end and scrappy. Steve Woolley carried the ball towards the edge of the box but saw both of his attempts at goal blocked by, firstly, Start Ludlum and then Adam Chapman.

The latter then saw his powerful header, from a Mitchell Dunne corner, go across goal and towards the corner before it was headed away to safety by Matt Reay.

Moments later, Jamie Price fizzed an effort, which was headed towards the edge of the box by Ludlum, just wide of the bottom corner.

The host’s were almost gifted a goal. Matt Reay misjudged his header back to the keeper and Mitchell Dunne was clean through until Francis raced off his line to clear.

Sheffield F.C. struck first blood in the first quarter of the game. Charlie Wakefield had too much time and space in the centre which allowed the midfielder to line up his shot in which he dispatched perfectly as his effort was too strong for Francis to parry and nestled into the bottom corner.

Tomas Poole then tried an audacious effort from around thirty yards. Poole chested down a lovely switched ball from Price before smashing it just wide of the upright on the volley.

On the half hour mark, Town were back on level terms in strange fashion. Tomas Poole recognised the keeper wasn’t paying attention to play and fired past him for the equaliser.

Four minutes later, the Tigers went ahead in the tie. Steve Woolley’s free-kick was only pushed into the air by Matt Roney, who is normally deployed as midfielder, and into the air which was nodded home by Pemberton.

On the stroke of half-time, Woolley dispatched a fierce free-kick, from a similar range to his last, which was smartly parried away from goal by the makeshift keeper.

The first chance of the second period fell to ‘The Worlds First’. Ant Mackie saw his out-swinging cross headed towards goal by Marc Newsham but Francis was on hand to stop and hold onto the effort.

Adam Chapman then glanced a header wide at the front post before Mitchell Dunne flashed a fierce shot across the face of goal and just inches wide.

Just after the half hour mark, Pemberton connected with Steve Woolley’s set-piece however, he could only head tamely into the ground and straight into the keepers hands.

Ten minutes later, Ehsan Mohammed wriggled away from his marker before rifling a shot just over the crossbar.

Worksop Town countered and the ball found its way to Tomas Poole on the right-hand side. Poole battled his way past Alfie Eagle and Jamie Yates before seeing his shot whistle past the far post.

FC were denied a blatant penalty in the last ten minutes. Mitchell Dunne darted into the box and was about to slide home the leveller until he was impeded by last ditch defending by Taylor. Everyone in the ground saw it was a penalty apart from the linesman and the referee.

With eight minutes to go, Worksop extended their advantage. Liam Royles picked the ball up and accelerated down the right before slamming his shot past the keeper after cutting inside.

On the stroke of full-time, Kyle Jordan should have put the game to bed. Jordan burst towards goal but failed to capitalise on his golden opportunity as his curling effort cannoned off the post before being cleared by Mackie.

The final whistle went moments later to confirm that the Tigers would be the team progressing into the next round.

Worksop Town next face Maltby Main on Saturday, 13th October at Sandy Lane. It is also non-league day and the club will be putting on a family friendly activities as well as competitions and drinks offers throughout the day!

Attendance: 291

Goals: Wakefield (14’); Poole (27’), Pemberton (31’), Royles (79’)

Worksop Town: Andy Francis, Liam Royles, Michael Trench, Matt Reay, Charlie Taylor, Jamie Price, Steve Woolley (Deegan Atherton), Max Pemberton, Craig Mitchell (Kyle Jordan), Tomas Poole, Matt Sykes

Leave a Reply