Ten men Tigers are narrowly beaten by EvoStik Frickley

It was a well fought battle between two old rivals at the Lane on a cool Wednesday night. Craig Mitchell was dismissed just before the break before Frickley finally chiselled their way through a tight Tigers backline to force their way into the next round.

The visitors were looking to get back on track after a 0-2 defeat against Morpeth Town on Saturday.

The same scoreline played out at Sandy Lane, at the weekend, but the points went in the hosts’ favour as the Tigers beat Goole AFC to complete their first double of the season.

The Tigers’ first opportunity of the game came on the fifth minute mark. Matt Sykes sharply spun his man before sending a fierce strike towards goal which went inches past the post.

Ex-Tiger Sam Liversidge almost marked his return with a goal. Tyler Walton squared the ball across to Liversidge who narrowly curled his effort wide of the upright.

Moments later, Liversidge cut in from the right but saw his low driven effort held down low by Reay.

Frickley were dominating the early stages of the game. Ben Algar rifled an effort from thirty yards out which proved too hot to handle for Reay as he split the effort at the first attempt but quickly pounced on the ball, at the second time of asking, and stop Walton from having an easy chance at goal.

Steve Woolley and Jacob Hazel both continued the trend of long ranged efforts but both saw their efforts travelled closely off target.

On the hour mark, Ben Algar fizzed a ball across goal for Jed Wilkinson whose flick on towards goal kissed the post before rolling into the advertising boards.

Moments later, Jacob Hazel was denied from twenty-five yards. The prolific forward wrong footed Jamie Price and struck a curling effort towards goal which was superbly tipped wide by David Reay.

With five minutes to go, Matt Sykes darted through the centre before threading the ball into the path of Craig Mitchell whose left footed strike parried wide by Warhurst.

On the stroke of half-time, the Tigers were reduced to ten men. Craig Mitchell was the culprit as he raised his hand after a collision between the striker and Jameel Ible.

The second half was mostly in favour of the visitors, with their man advantage. The Tigers’ back five stuck together and tried to restrict Athletic to long range efforts, like the first half.

Five minutes after the restart, Jed Wilkinson let the ball roll across his body before skipping the challenge of Pemberton and seeing his shot pushed wide by David Reay.

On the hour mark, Reay matched a well struck effort from Tyler Walton to palm it wide of his near post.

Liam Royles then bravely dove in to block a volley at the back post from Daniel Palmer.

The visitors took the lead with four minutes remaining, Lewis Szanto latched onto a pinpoint Daniel Rowe through-ball to slide past the keeper.

Moments after, Connor Brunt was close to levelling the game. Sykes poked the ball through to the striker who hit his shot across the face of goal and wide.

Brunt then turned provider as he beat his man for pace to pull the ball back to Kyle Jordan who fluffed his shot over the bar.

In stoppage time, Jacob Hazel had the chance to put the game to bed. Hazel escaped the attention of Pemberton to take Szanto’s slipped ball into his stride and accelerated towards goal. He entered the box from the right but Hazel was met by Reay who did enough to deflect the ball behind for a corner which ultimately came to nothing.

The full-time whistle sounded minutes later to confirm the Tigers would be bowing out of the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup at the Third Round stage.

Worksop Town are again back at Sandy Lane, on Saturday, as we welcome Barton Town to S80.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 254

Goals: Szanto (86’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Liam Royles (Kyle Jordan), Michael Trench, Danny Patterson, Charlie Taylor, Max Pemberton, Steven Woolley (Ross Goodwin), Jamie Price, Matt Sykes, Craig Mitchell (s/o 44’), Aaron Moxam (Connor Brunt)

Unused Subs: Steven Wankiewicz

Leave a Reply