A Wins a win for the Tigers after a scrappy contest at home to Liversedge.

A 2-1 victory at home to Liversedge got us the all-important three points. A goal just before the half-hour mark from Craig Mitchell got the ball rolling, however the lack of concentration at the back cost us as we conceded a minute after scoring. An early second-half penalty from striker Matthew Sykes turned out to be the difference between the two sides. The game went into a slugging contest and Liversedge almost got back on level terms late on, but skipper Jamie Price was the man who headed their attempt on goal off the line.

Worksop struggled in the opening stages. The Tigers attacks were met by a solid Liversedge defence. The Sedge almost took the lead on the fifth minute as Price lost possession of the ball in the middle of the park; Liversedge then played a beautiful slide-rule pass through the Worksop defence putting striker Joe Walton through on goal. Walton tried to flick the ball over the on-rushing David Reay who clawed the ball to safety.

The game settled down and Worksop took advantage of the drop in tempo. A clever move down the left for Worksop was followed by a low cross across the Liversedge goal, which met the feet of Craig Mitchell who muscled the ball over the line in the 27th minute.

Our visitors got back on level terms moments later. The Worksop defence fell asleep and the Yorkshire side capitalised with a great move down the Worksop left, as a low cross by ex-Tiger Rhys Davies caused all sorts of problems in the Worksop box; Farrar pounced first, tapping into an empty net.

Worksop took the lead again early on in the second half. Worksop attacker Steve McDonnell proved to be a threat with his strength, and the forward managed to shake off four Liversedge players before a late tackle brought him down in the box. The referee pointed to the spot, and Sykes stepped up to convert the spot-kick into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal.

Each side frustrated the other in the final third of the match. The game turned into a slugging match, with the man in authority stopping play for fouls resulting in the tempo dropping once again.

In the closing stages Worksop dug in deep and defended with a solid back line, however Liversedge huffed and puffed and nearly blew their way in. A set-piece from the Sedge resulted in a magnificent header towards goal which headed towards the Worksop net; Price was the last man on the line, and he headed the ball off the goal line and the Tigers got the ball away.

Attendance: 374

Goals: Mitchell (29), Farrar (30), Sykes (57 pen)

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Hill, Woolley (Robinson), Pemberton, M. Reay, Patterson, Price (C), Sykes (Jordan), Mitchell (Brunt), McDonnell

Unused subs: Royles, Jones

Bookings: Pemberton (44), Atherton (69), Patterson (74)

By Luke Atherton

Leave a Reply