First-half performance from the Tigers was too much for Athersley to handle.

First-half goals from Craig Mitchell, Steve McDonnell, Kyle Jordan and Matthew Sykes made sure the three points stayed at Sandy Lane. Athersley gave themselves a lifeline in the second half.

Worksop hit the ground running, taking an early lead in the 2nd minute. Worksop attacker Steve McDonnell was in the mix of things, chipping into the path of Mitchell, who poked the ball past Athersley ‘keeper Daniel Morton.

The Tigers continued their early pressure by doubling the lead just two minutes later. A great effort on goal from McDonnell was saved by Morton, however, the young ‘keeper spilled the ball back into McDonnell’s path, and the striker fired the ball into the back of the net to send the Tigers into dreamland.

Worksop put more daylight between themselves and Athersley shortly after. Left-back Michael Trench drew a foul on the edge of the box. Experienced Tiger Steve Woolley’s resultant free-kick struck the hand of one of the Rec defenders in the wall, leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot. Up stepped Kyle Jordan, who smashed the penalty home to give Athersley a mountain to climb inside 15 minutes.

The Rec’s day went from bad to worse as the Barnsley side were reduced to ten men; defender Dale Bettenor’s terrible tackle on Atherton was right in front of the man in authority, who promptly gave the defender his marching orders.

Winger Matthew Sykes put the game to bed just before half-time. His dazzling run down the left was followed by some slick skills to turn onto his outside in the Athersley box, and he smashed an unbelievable strike past ‘keeper Morton to give us a four-goal advantage going into the break.

Athersley got a goal back early in the second half. Kieron Scargill gave the visitors a lifeline after a devastating run from the right-hand side, the winger cutting inside and lifting the ball over Worksop ‘keeper David Reay .

Worksop took the foot off the gas in the second half. We could have added to our lead, however, it was a solid display from the Tigers in winning our second game in a row.


Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Trench, Woolley, Wankiewicz, M. Reay, Patterson (C), McDonnell, Mitchell (Ward), Jordan (Brunt), Sykes

Unused subs: Royles, Taylor


Goals: Mitchell (2), McDonnell (4), Jordan (13 pen), Sykes (44); Scargill (55)

Bookings: McDonnell (62)

Sent off: Bettenor (23)

Attendance: 362


By Luke Atherton

Leave a Reply