Five-star performance for the Tigers.

Worksop Town beat ten-man Thackley 5-2 at Sandy Lane in a thrilling encounter. Winger Matthew Sykes scored a hat-trick on a perfect Saturday afternoon for the Tigers. The villain of the day was Jerome White, allegedly punching Steven Wankiewicz, which resulted in a sending-off and goal from the resulting penalty.

Worksop striker Kyle Jordan scored the second goal of the game from the spot kick. Steve McDonnell also got onto the score sheet for the Tigers in the first half to give Worksop a three-goal advantage. Robert Marsh and sub Asa Mitchell managed to keep the game interesting throughout the second half.

Both sides started the game evenly matched, with both sides struggling to carve out any chances in the opening few minutes.

Worksop drew first blood in the 8th minute. Tigers attacker Steve McDonnell’s bursting run of pace down the right-hand side was too much for Thackley winger James Rothel; McDonnell then cut inside onto his left foot, whipping a lovely delivery into striker Kyle Jordan who propped the ball up into the air, and Matthew Sykes flicked the ball over the Dennyboys’ goalkeeper Alfie Stevens-Neale.

Worksop’s afternoon got better 12 minutes after the first goal. Some handbags were thrown in the Thackley box, and the linesman pulled the referee to one side to bring to his attention to an incident between Jerome White and Steve Wankiewicz. The man in authority had no choice but to give the Thackley full-back his marching orders. Worksop striker Jordan stepped up to coolly slot the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal.

Things would improve yet further for the Tigers as they manufactured another lovely move to make it 3-0. This time McDonnell ran through on goal, rounding ‘keeper Stevens-Neale and calmly placing the ball into an empty Thackley net.

Worksop almost made it four shortly after the break, as left-back Michael Trench hit a fierce strike that rebounded off the Thackley defender, then had a second bite of the cherry, this time hitting the post.

Our visitors almost got themselves back into the game. Thackley broke away on the counter; striker Adam Muller almost came back to haunt his former employers with a tricky turn and shot, which was matched by a terrific save from Tigers ‘keeper Dave Reay.

Thackley managed to make the breakthrough shortly after with a cracker. Right-back Marsh ran onto a lovely ball with a bursting run of pace before unleashing an effort that was either a cross or shot, but that didn’t matter; the ball looped over goalkeeper Reay and went in off the post.

It was game, set and match for the Tigers five minutes later as Sykes got his second of the game. Striker Craig Mitchell put the winger through and Sykes slammed the ball into the far corner to secure all three points for Worksop.

The Dennyboys put the Worksop party on hold temporarily after some poor defending. Thackley put another dangerous delivery towards the back post, where sub Asa Mitchell was waiting; his first touch was second-to-none and he followed that up with a great finish into the bottom right-hand corner.

Sykes became the star of the show, getting the match ball after scoring his third of the game in the 83rd minute. Sykes latched onto a beautiful through-ball and smashed it past Stevens-Neale to round off another perfect Saturday for the Tigers.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Trench, Woolley, M. Reay, Wankiewicz, Patterson (C), McDonnell (Jones), Mitchell (Brunt), Jordan (Ward), Sykes

Unused subs: Royles, Price

Goals: Sykes (8, 66, 83), Jordan (20), McDonnell (28); Marsh (61), Mitchell (75)

Red cards: White (20)

Attendance: 364

Leave a Reply