The Tigers prove too strong in the end for Dronfield Town.

Jordan Lonchar and Regan Watkinson got the Tigers deservedly in front after a dominant first-half display, but Dronfield pulled a goal back just after the break through Flowers. A Jay Evison goal and an Alfie Dodsworth double put the Tigers further ahead. The hosts refused to lay down as they netted two goals in three minutes; however, the Tigers put the game to bed as Lonchar was on hand to stroke home a neat set-up.

The Tigers dominated the majority of the first half but lacked that final finish on many occasions.

In the second minute, Lonchar slipped Jack Charlesworth through on goal, but the midfielder saw his shot nestle into the side netting.

Charlesworth then had another chance to open the scoring a quarter of the way into the game. Jack Shaw’s perfectly weighted ball was taken by Charlesworth into his stride but as the ‘keeper rushed out, Charlesworth lifted the ball over him, however the ball drifted just wide of the far post.

Watkinson was a constant threat down the left. He went close after 20 minutes when he latched onto Lonchar’s pass, but the local lad forced a good save from the goalkeeper who held onto the well-struck effort.

The away side took the lead on the half-hour mark. Deegan Atherton cut open the Dronfield back line with a killer ball which landed at the feet of Lonchar, who rifled his attempt past the goalkeeper.

Dronfield’s first chance came minutes after the opener. Kai Butler was put through down the left where the striker burst away from his marker, but he saw his fierce strike tipped wide of the upright by James Gamble. Dominic Charles headed the resulting corner wide.

Watkinson got the Tigers’ second when he was on hand to run onto Lonchar’s knock forward, the winger coolly knocking the ball around the ‘keeper and slotting into an open goal.

The Tigers had the final chance of the half as Sam Jones’ deep run ended with the wing-back cutting the ball back to the edge of the area, where Watkinson’s firm effort went agonisingly wide.

Dronfield started the second period better than their opponents. Gamble was called into action to dive down low and parry Flower’s shot away to safety.

Five minutes later, the hosts halved the deficit. The ball pinballed in the area before the ball fell to Travis Hodgson, who sharply cut onto his left foot before hammering his shot across goal and into the far corner.

On the hour, Dronfield almost equalised when Butler cut in from the left before seeing his thunderous drive at goal clip the top of the crossbar as it went over the target.

That chance came back to haunt them as minutes later, the Tigers reinstated their two-goal advantage. Lonchar used his quick dribbling to get away from his marker before drilling the ball across for Evison, who tucked his first-time effort past the ‘keeper.

Ten minutes later, the Tigers went further ahead. Ryan Delello did brilliantly to hold off his man down the line and the substitute made his way into the area. Delello subsequently squared the ball to Lonchar who fooled Dronfield by dummying the ball for Dodsworth who let the ball run across his feet, before firing it past the keeper.

Minutes later, Worksop added a fifth. Worksop worked hard to win the ball back from Dronfield who tried to play out from the back. Charlesworth played the ball to Dodsworth, who had his back to goal. Alfie dropped the shoulder to get rid of the defender, before turning around and slamming his shot into the bottom corner.

Dronfield refused to lie down despite Worksop’s ability to score goals, netting two goals in three minutes. Firstly, Ethan Flower picked out the run of Butler who finished the move by slotting under Gamble. Then, Worksop switched off for a moment as Connor Needham nicked the ball off Josh Ashley and the midfielder unselfishly squared the ball to Hodgson, who had the easy task of passing into an open goal.

With three minutes to go, the Tigers confirmed all three points by adding a sixth. The deadly partnership of Dodsworth and Lonchar linked up as the former poked the ball through to the latter, who curled his shot past the ‘keeper.

The full-time whistle went to end a great display of attacking football.

Leave a Reply