Worksop make it four out of four after a tricky game away at Garforth Town.

The Tigers won the game 2-1 in very tricky windy conditions in Leeds. Experienced attacker Kyle Jordan opened proceedings from the penalty spot early on, a Danny Williams goal got Garforth back on level terms before January’s Player of the Month Matthew Sykes strike in the second half took all three points back to Sandy Lane.

The game started as a scrappy affair in the windy conditions, both sides having long periods of possession but struggling in the final third.

The Tigers drew first blood in the 12th minute. Kyle Jordan went on a fantastic run, weaving in and out of the Garforth defence, before squaring a lovely ball to Steve McDonnell, who was set to tee up the unmarked Matthew Sykes; however, the Garforth defender brought McDonnell down to gift the Tigers a penalty. Up stepped Jordan, who calmly slotted the penalty past Garforth ‘keeper Toby Wells to give the Tigers the lead.

After that opening goal Worksop took control of the game and dominated possession. The pacey attacker McDonnell was looking dangerous down the right hand side and gave Garforth’s right-back James Beaton a lot to think about.

The hosts got themselves back on level terms shortly before half time. Midfielder Alex Lowe put a great through-ball in to striker Williams, who tucked the ball under the outcoming David Reay in the Worksop goal.

The Tigers started the second half on the front foot. McDonnell’s surging run towards a loose ball and the resultant fierce strike stung the palms of Garforth ‘keeper Wells; the shot-stopper let go of the ball, resulting in it brushing the top of the goal and back into his hands.

Seconds later the Tigers had another glorious opportunity. A clever run down the left-hand side and a devastating cross met the foot of Craig Mitchell who couldn’t find the target from five yards out.

Worksop continued to pile the pressure on the Miners’ goal as a lovely in-swinging corner from midfielder Steve Woolley flew into the box but couldn’t find a Worksop head.

The Tigers got their noses back in front on the hour. Man of the moment Sykes received a fantastic ball from the right, taking a fabulous first touch which wrong-footed Beaton and then striking a brilliant low drive under the goalkeeper’s legs.

Worksop almost doubled the advantage after another terrific in-swinging cross from a corner by Woolley met the head of centre-half Steven Wankiewicz, who couldn’t steer his header on goal.

The match ended 2-1, netting the Tigers another valuable three points.

By Luke Atherton

LINE-UP: D Reay, Atherton, Trench, Woolley (Hill), M Reay, Wankiewicz, Patterson, McDonnell, Mitchell (Ward), Jordan (Brunt), Sykes

SUBS: Pemberton, M Jones

Goals: Jordan (12 pen), Williams (41), Sykes (60)

Bookings: M. Reay (38), Robinson-Wilson (50), Wankiewicz (64)

Leave a Reply