A delighted Denton reviews the semi-final win against a tough Hemsworth side.

It was another solid performance from the Tigers who completed their trilogy of trips to the Fitzwilliam Stadium for this season.

The Tigers have played at the Wells’ home in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup, the League, and the NCEL League Cup, winning 2-0, 2-1, and 2-0 respectively.

Craig Mitchell opened up the scoring in the 22nd minute. Harry Viggars made a terrible mistake as he under-hit a back pass to Jordan Greaves, which allowed Steve McDonnell to latch onto this gift before squaring the ball toward the middle where Mitchell was on hand to finish into an empty net.

It is always a feisty affair between these two sides and on the stroke of half-time, the hosts were reduced to ten men when Seon Ripley lead with his elbow in an aerial battle between the number nine and captain Danny Patterson, who crashed to the ground. A brawl occurred in the heat of the moment and when the man in the middle calmed both sides down, he had no option but to send Ripley for an early bath.

The Tigers added a second ten minutes after the restart. Matt Sykes received the ball on the left from Michael Trench, before sharply cutting in and rifling an effort which cannoned off the post and in. This was his 32nd goal of the season.

Hemsworth had their own chances, however. Steven Wankiewicz and Max Pemberton stayed solid, as did Atherton and Trench, but when the Wells did escape their attention, Ben Townsend was on hand to stop their efforts – this was his first competitive game since rupturing his ACL whilst under Denton at Rainworth last campaign.

Worksop stayed firm to book their place in the final against Liversedge FC, who beat Swallownest FC on the same night, with the tie to be played at Doncaster Rovers’ Keepmoat Stadium.

Denton expressed his happiness to get through to the final and set up a potential league and cup double.

“Firstly, I’d like to say a huge thank you to Hemsworth for their hospitality and their guard of honour.

“We certainly knew it was going to be a really tough game tonight. For me, Hemsworth are a really well-drilled side who make it extremely difficult for you to play. As you may have seen with the line-up, there were a few changes; Dave and Matt Reay were away on holiday, and Ward and Hill were both cup-tied, so we brought three Under-19s into the sixteen.

“I thought we started quite brightly and got ourselves on the front foot to get ourselves a one-goal lead. I thought our centre-halves were fantastic tonight; I thought Steve Wankiewicz was outstanding, Pemberton was fantastic, and I thought everyone was excellent tonight. Ben Townsend hasn’t played a single game of football this year, but he steps in today and keeps a clean sheet and he’s been awesome. His kicking was absolutely fantastic and he has had to step into some big shoes tonight to replace a missing Dave Reay.

“Overall I’m very happy with the 2-0 win.”

The Worksop Town boss then showed his pride in his squad and their strength in depth, along with the youth program.

“It is great to get there and we are now looking forward to playing at the Keepmoat after winning this evening. The quality in depth of our squad is fantastic and that is testament to our recruitment, which has shone through with its quality. The lads have been able to step into people’s shoes and bringing in the Under-19s. Aiden Spowage has done fantastic with the 19s. They have done great and it has been brilliant for us to sort of drip-feed those players into the first team, which is testament to the football club and the relationship between me and Aiden and the 19s.

“We’re delighted that we can go to the Keepmoat. The supporters will come back again to back us and hopefully they’ll have a fantastic night at the cup final.”

By Devon Cash

Leave a Reply