The Tigers take on Liversedge tonight in the final of the NCEL League Cup, for the chance to expand their League title into a double.

Today, we will look at the stages the Tigers went through in order to get to their first final since 2012 – when they beat Frickley Athletic 3-2 in the Sheffield Senior Cup Final at Hillsborough.

Third Round – Worksop Town 2-1 Winterton Rangers | 31/10/18.

The Tigers entered the competition in the third round against Winterton Rangers, who at the time were the NCEL Division One leaders.

The Tigers took the lead just before the 20-minute mark, when Craig Mitchell latched onto a ball over the top from Matt Reay. Mitchell let the ball bounce before lobbing Dale Coy in the Rangers goal.

On the half-hour mark, Town doubled their lead. Liam Royles switched the play from right to left as he picked out the run of Matt Sykes, who took the ball in his stride and rifled his shot past Coy.

With twenty minutes to go, Winterton halved the deficit. James Dean-Atkinson burst through the middle and saw his effort saved well down low by Dave Reay, but the ball rolled out to Luke Anderson who passed his shot into the goal.

Worksop kept the ball well to stop Winterton from equalising and the Tigers progressed into the next round.

Fourth Round – Maltby Main 1-2 Worksop Town AET | 13/02/19.

The game started end-to-end and in the seventh minute, Maltby were awarded a penalty when Max Pemberton brought down Jordan Turner. The former Worksop Town striker stepped up for the Miners, however Dave Reay had done his homework and stayed firm to save the effort down the middle.

On the stroke of half-time, Worksop took the lead when Steve Wankiewicz beat the offside trap to poke Pemberton’s well-delivered cross into the box past the ‘keeper.

Like the opener, we would have to wait until the end of the period for the next goal. Unfortunately, this came at the expense of the away side as Maltby equalised. The Miners won a free-kick on the edge of the area and central to the goal. Cameron Rigby took responsibility as he looped the ball over the out-stretching Reay and into the back of the net – forcing the game into extra-time.

The pendulum swung back in the Tigers’ favour thanks to Craig Mitchell. The forward flicked a bouncing ball over an out-rushing Pollard, before firing into the now-unguarded net.

The Tigers saw the half out and came away from Muglet Lane with the win.

Quarter-Final – Staveley Miners Welfare 1-2 Worksop Town | 27/03/19.

Next up was a short trip to Staveley Miners Welfare.

Worksop took the lead on the half-hour mark through Kyle Jordan. Lynton Karkach dribbled the ball down the right and towards the byline where the winger fizzed the ball back to Jordan, who slammed his shot under the goalkeeper.

Staveley showed their class on the night and made it a tough task for the Tigers, and on the 75th minute, the home side equalised. A dangerous cross pin-balled around inside the Tigers box and Michael Burke was the first to react, heading the ball towards goal to equalise despite Michael Trench’s best efforts on the line.

The game looked like it would head into extra-time until Karkach produced the goods on the stroke of the 90. Woolley slipped the ball down the right to Atherton, who whipped a lovely cross into the Staveley box. The ball was headed into the path of Karkach, stood on the edge of the box, and the winger hit a lovely half-volley which almost ripped through the roof of the net.

This was enough as the Tigers went into the final four of the competition.

Semi-Final – Hemsworth Miners Welfare 0-2 Worksop Town | 30/04/19.

This was the third trip to Wakefield Road this season for the Tigers, and also the third win that the Worksop faithful saw.

The Tigers took a 22nd-minute lead. Harry Viggars miscued a pass back to the goalkeeper, which Steve McDonnell took in his stride. He baited the ‘keeper off his line before cutting the ball back to Mitchell who struck home the gift.

Tempers boiled over at Wakefield Road after a 50/50 between skipper Danny Patterson and Seon Ripley who both went up for the ball. Ripley went in hard and elbowed Patterson in front of the referee; he was given his marching orders just before the half-time whistle.

The Tigers put further daylight between the two sides with a sensational effort. Michael Trench carried the ball from deep and laid the ball off to Sykes on the left. Sykes cut in from the flank and, from 30 yards out, rifled an unbelievable effort into the Wells’ goal with his right peg.

Final – Liversedge FC vs Worksop Town | 13/05/19 at the Keepmoat Stadium.

It will be a tough game tonight against an outfit that possesses strength and power throughout their side. The past three games between these sides have brought us 16 goals, so hopefully we will get another goal feast – in our favour, of course!

The highest attendance recorded for the NCEL League Cup was 583 in 2010 between Grimsby Borough and Scarborough Athletic. With our tremendous support, let’s get over to Doncaster and pack out the Keepmoat Stand whilst making some noise!

By Devon Cash.

Leave a Reply