The Tigers completed an NCEL league and cup double after beating Liversedge FC 3-1 in the final of the League Cup.

Steve Woolley influenced the game with two fantastic free-kicks either side of the break, which put the Tigers 2-0 up before Joe Walton took advantage of the Tigers’ lapse in concentration as he halved the deficit a minute after the playmaker’s brace.

The tie was settled with seven minutes remaining as Goodwin tapped home from McDonnell’s long-distance drive towards goal.

Manager Craig Denton gave a lot of credit to the opposition, but was delighted for his players.

“I thought that Liversedge dominated. Steve Woolley scored a fantastic free-kick just before the break. I said at half-time that we had a lot more in our tank – we applied that, created more chances and more opportunities, and put Liversedge under a bit more pressure. Liversedge created a lot more problems, especially with Joe Walton up top who was an absolute handful. We came out and wanted a better start than the first half and we got that.

“The surface was quality. Our lads have been playing in the NCEL this season and with all due respect, there are no pitches as good as that one out there. We had to adjust slightly to the occasion and with the high number of supporters out there; it puts pressure on us to perform. With the run we have been on, people will look at the fixture list and see us as favourites due to how well we’ve done this season.”

Craig then expressed his gratitude towards Steve Woolley.

“He was outstanding – a true dead-ball specialist. In and around those positions he will try and get some whip on it and test the ‘keeper. The goalkeeper should have done better on the first free-kick, but we’ll take it and Steve Woolley’s second one was outstanding – he hit it perfectly.”

With an attendance of 1,075 (although it looked much more from the press box), Denton spoke highly of the travelling fans and their support over the course of the campaign.

“I have said it home and away that it is so important to have those travelling supporters, so I want to say a big, big thank you for coming to support the lads at the Keepmoat Stadium tonight and hopefully we have sent them home with big smiles on their faces. From the lads in the dressing room, it’s also a big thank you to the fans, not just for tonight, but during the whole season. Tonight capped off the perfect season for Worksop Town Football Club.”

By Devon Cash

Leave a Reply