Woolley’s wonder goals were enough to get the Tigers over the line.

Worksop Town beat Liversedge 3-1 in the NCEL League Cup Final. A brace from Steve Woolley and a Ross Goodwin goal sealed the deal for the Tigers, although a Joe Walton goal set up another nervy finish for Worksop.

Despite the pre-match nerves kicking in for both sides, the Tigers started the game on the front foot. Matt Sykes made a great move down the left and played a great ball to striker Steve McDonnell; the big attacker cut inside on the edge of the Liversedge box before being tackled by defender George Cull, who could only clear the ball to Patterson 30 yards out, but his low drive couldn’t find the target.

After the early pressure from Worksop the tempo dropped as both sides looked to get a foothold in the game. Liversedge had their first strike on target, with the attack coming down the left. Striker Alfie Raw hit a shot from the edge of the Worksop box, but his effort rolled comfortably into goalkeeper Dave Reay’s hands.

The Yorkshire side should have taken the lead shortly after. Worksop defender Max Pemberton got caught in possession, losing a 50/50 to Liversedge talisman Joe Walton. The forward bore down on goal and looped a great flick over Reay, who managed to get a hand on it and Pemberton was there to scoop the ball off the line.

Moments later the Worksop defence got caught napping, as a great delivery from ex-Tiger Rhys Davies fell to left foot of Raw who hit a firm shot that ricocheted off the Worksop post and out to safety.

As the first half drew to a close, Worksop dominated possession and almost grabbed themselves the lead. A great through-ball from midfielder Steve Woolley found striker Craig Mitchell, who beat the offside trap as he drove towards goal, but the target was tight and Liversedge goalkeeper Ed Wilzinski saved his shot. 

Worksop took the lead moments later. McDonnell was wrestled to the floor on the edge of the ‘Sedge box, and up stepped Woolley, who curled a devastating free-kick into the top left-hand of the Liversedge goal.

The Tigers started the second half with the foot on the gas. McDonnell took the ball on his chest and shrugged off one defender, then Sykes took over the attack and hit a right-footed shot that went agonisingly wide of the Liversedge goal.

Another foul on McDonnell on the edge of the Liversedge box gave the leaders another free-kick, and Woolley delivered the goods once more. An outrageous free kick from the edge of the Liversedge box flew into the top left-hand corner, sending the Tigers into dreamland.

However, the Sedge pulled a goal back moments later. Midfielder Tom Brook found the feet of Walton, who ran towards goal, twisting and weaving away from the Worksop defence, slotting his finish under the out-coming Reay.

Woolley almost grabbed himself an hat-trick. A great ball through from McDonnell down the left-hand side found winger Sykes, who cut back inside on the byline and hit a low, dangerous pass that found Woolley, but his effort smashed against the crossbar and out of play. 

This was turning into the a proper final with both sides going on the offensive. A great piece of play by former Wigan Athletic and Northampton Town striker Emile Sinclair resulted in him playing a great ball from the left-hand side across goal, but Davies completely missed his effort at the back post. 

Liversedge started to dominate possession and looked a threat on the attack. Another through-ball found Walton, who was through on goal having shrugged off the Worksop defence, but his low effort was matched by a fantastic save from Reay.

It was then game, set and match as the Tigers regained their two-goal advantage. McDonnell collected the ball deep inside the Sedge box; the big man produced another devastating run and shot from 20 yards, which ‘keeper Wilzinski could only spill into the path of Goodwin, who tapped the ball into the back of the Sedge net.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Trench, Woolley, Wankiewicz, Pemberton, Patterson (C), Goodwin, McDonnell (Jordan), Mitchell (Brunt), Sykes (Karkach)

Unused subs: Jones, Townsend 

Goals: Woolley (44, 55), Goodwin (83); Walton (56) 

Attendance: 1,074

By Luke Atherton   

Leave a Reply