Tigers see off battling Selby.

Worksop Town came away from The Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium as winners in a truly battling contest.

The NPL South East side broke the stalemate late on through Craig Mitchell before adding another two goals in nine minutes thanks to excellent finishes from Phillips and Templeton.

The first-half was very rigid in terms of play. Selby absorbed lots of pressure and were content with watching Worksop play their stuff before recycling the ball and darting down to the other end on the counter.

The home side had the first major opportunity of the game as the Captain Gothard steered a header wide of the far post from a corner.

Moments later, striker Flanagan received the ball over the shoulder before poorly volleying wide of the upright.

On the half hour mark, Selby Town had the ball in the back of the net through Flanagan however, the referee had previously blown for a foul on Reay who had been impeded by Rogerson.

Matt Reay then looped a header over the bar after Pemberton curled one into the area.

Flanagan was a danger throughout the game and went close to opening the scoring. Clamp threaded the ball through to the forward who opened up his body, but saw his curled attempt saved down low by the ‘keeper.

The final chance of the half fell to Jordan who saw a snapshot from the edge whistle just wide of the upright.

Selby started the second-half emphatically like the first period. Walker burst through on goal, but the winger poorly sliced wide from the edge.

On the hour, Karkach went close as he placed Sykes’ cross-field ball towards goal, but Anderson saved with his feet before Mettam fired over from the rebound.

Arguably, the last quarter of the game was the most entertaining.

Worksop Town broke the stalemate in the 74th minute where Craig Mitchell powerfully steered Michael Trench’s cross into the top corner.

Four minutes later, their lead was doubled as Jed Phillips took aim from twenty-five yards and rifled home an effort off the post.

Selby should have halved the deficit with ten minutes to go. Smith flew down the left flank before drilling the ball towards the back stick where an unmarked Jackson embarrassingly scuppered his chance over the bar from close range.

They were left to rue their chances as the Tigers went down the other end and added a third. Matty Templeton superbly volleyed a rocket of a shot past Anderson who was rooted to the spot.

Neither side had anymore chances in the remaining minutes and the Tigers ran out 3-0 victors.

Attendance: 140 Goals: Mitchell (74’), Phillips (78’), Templeton (83’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Deegan Atherton (Lynton Karkach), Michael Trench, Ben Rhodes, Matt Reay, Max Pemberton, Jed Phillips, Jack Brownell (Josh Hobson), Craig Mitchell, Kyle Jordan (Leon Mettam), Matt Sykes (Matt Templeton)

by Devon Cash

Leave a Reply