Interim managers’ first win as Tigers progress in League Cup.

Steve Woolley, Craig Mitchell and Kyle Jordan got their first win in their temporary spell in charge of Worksop Town in a dominant performance against Wisbech Town to progress into the next round of the Integro League Cup.

The Tigers took the lead inside eight minutes as Lynton Karkach scampered forward to run onto a ball over from Danny Patterson. The ‘keeper, who was in two minds whether to come and claim or stay on his line, ended up in no-man’s land, allowing the winger to find the net with a sweet dinked volley over Wilson.

After twenty minutes, Woolley saw a chance go begging as after a pin-ball on the edge, the ball popped out to the midfielder, who controlled with his thigh before seeing his half-volley saved and held down low by Wilson.

Wisbech then had two chances to equalise. Firstly, Danny Setchell saw his powerfully-hit free-kick deflect wide off the back of fellow teammate Zydane Richardson. Then, Oliver Shackleton attempted to hook a cross towards the target whilst having his back to goal; he managed to do the first part, but unfortunately for the forward, the ball bounced wide.

Moments later, Worksop doubled their lead. Niall Smith, who was a constant threat down the left, swung a ball into the middle which Sam Spencer dealt with poorly, as his scuffed clearance fell into the path of Craig Mitchell, who rifled the ball into the roof of the net from twelve yards out.

A defensive error from Wisbech allowed Worksop to get a third. Connor Brunt, already on the press, took advantage of Callum Traynor’s mishap as the centre-half sliced a clearance towards his own box, where Brunt pounced and coolly lobbed an out-rushing Wilson.

On the stroke of half-time, Mitchell almost bagged a brace as he reacted quickly to an unchallenged ball in the box, but the strong forward thumped the effort off-target.

The second half had really lost its tempo as the Tigers were content with retaining possession to keep their opponents at arm’s length.

On the hour, Wisbech had their first major opportunity as Sam Spencer saw a header from a floated free-kick easily claimed by David Reay.

Minutes later, Niall Smith made a run down the left and seemingly managed to juggle the ball on his thigh before poking the ball over to substitute Andrew Gascoigne, who saw a fantastically-struck half-volley matched by a superb save from Wilson, who tipped the effort over the bar.

Wisbech went straight down the other end and played in Richardson, who used his strength to battle his way into the penalty area, but as he pulled the trigger he was met by the sliding challenge of Max Pemberton, who sent the ball wide.

Gascoigne then teed up Karkach on the right, however the winger could only fire his effort over the bar.

Pemberton then was on hand to slide in and clear the ball off the line after Aaron Hart had stroked it past Reay. The ball was then rolled into the path of Layton Maddison, who produced a rocket of a chance which whistled wide of the upright.

Jack Brownell then had a chance to open his account up for the Tigers as he ran onto a headed clearance and struck a blistering volley from 20 yards which went just over the bar.

A minute later, Gascoigne netted his fourth goal of the season as the playmaker won the ball in the air, which put him bearing down on goal. Gascoigne knocked it down to his feet before sliding the ball across the face of goal and into the bottom corner.

Wisbech netted a consolation late on in strange fashion. Joel Earps closed down David Reay and as the ‘keeper hoofed the ball, Earps managed to make the block and deflect the ball over Reay and into the back of the net.

On the stroke of full-time, Brunt saw a charging run along the by-line end with the striker attempting to find the bottom corner, which Wilson managed to get down to and get enough on the ball to take it wide.

The full-time whistle went to confirm Worksop’s place in the next round.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 210
Goals: Karkach (8’), Mitchell (33’), Brunt (37’), Gascoigne (83’); Earps (87’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Deegan Atherton, Niall Smith, Steve Woolley (Jack Brownell), Max Pemberton, Steven Wankiewicz, Danny Patterson (Sam Jones), Matthew Templeton, Connor Brunt, Craig Mitchell (Andrew Gascoigne), Lynton Karkach

Unused Subs: Kyle Jordan, Zac Walker

Leave a Reply