Worksop get back to winning ways in the League with an impressive victory over Spalding United.

After stalemate in the first half, goals from Lynton Karkach and Craig Mitchell got all three points for the Tigers, who were the better of the two sides on the day.

A quarter into the game, Kegan Everington drove through the middle, which ended with the midfield general cutting in from the right and scuffing an effort at goal which David Reay held down low.

Then minutes later, Niall Smith went close for the visitors. Deegan Atherton did brilliantly to nick the ball from the feet of Scott Floyd and play it to Karkach. The winger returned the favour with a neat back-heel through the legs of Hugo; Atherton then passed it on sideways to Max Pemberton, who subsequently teed up Smith for a long-range drive which arrowed just over the target.

On the half-hour mark, Steve Woolley made a surging run down the left and across the edge of the area, before dispatching a drilled effort towards goal which was saved by the hands of Michael Duggan.

Atherton then made a fantastic mazy run on the right before cutting the ball back to Karkach, who checked onto his leg peg and fired an effort at goal which whistled wide of the upright.

The final chance of the half fell to the Tulips, who almost took the lead against the run of play. Nathan Rudman managed to burst down the left flank and bore down on goal. As he entered the area, Rudman opened his body and attempted to stroke the ball past Reay who blocked with his knee. The danger was fully clear when Atherton raced to the goal-line to hook the ball away from sneaking in.

Two minutes after the restart, Connor Brunt almost opened the scoring as he saw a downward header from a Smith cross saved by the feet of Duggan.

On 55 minutes, the Tigers broke the deadlock. Pemberton’s long throw into the middle caused havoc as Duggan came to claim the ball, but ultimately opted to punch due to the traffic just outside the six-yard box. However, the goalkeeper’s punch was poor, which allowed Karkach to quickly react and loop a header over the crowd and into the back of the net.

On the hour, a corner into the area failed to be cleared with it eventually landing to Brunt, who snatched at the effort, sending it wide.

There were chances at both ends for each side. Firstly, Andrew Gascoigne ghosted past the United backline in order to receive Pemberton’s dinked ball over the top, from which the playmaker volleyed at goal saw his effort saved by the Spalding number one. Spalding quickly darted forward where Ben Greenwood received a sidewards ball before driving it wide of the bottom corner from the edge.

James Hugo then saw his cross deflect past David Reay and head scarily towards the bottom corner, but to the relief of the Tigers faithful, Woolley was on hand to control and clear.

With Spalding throwing everything forward, Worksop managed to break forward and double their lead. Jack Brownell threaded the ball down the left flank where Gascoigne was situated before bearing down the left. Gascoigne waited for Mitchell to come into the situation, with the midfielder stroking the ball into the centre to his counterpart; Mitchell put his foot on the ball and baited the ‘keeper off his line before rifling the ball beyond him.

Jack Brownhill then had an opportunity as he looped James Hugo’s cross onto the roof of the net.

Worksop soaked up this pressure to confirm that all three points would be theirs.

By Devon Cash.

NEXT UP: Worksop Town welcome Stamford AFC to Sandy Lane on Wednesday night.

Attendance: 199
Goals: Karkach (55’), Mitchell (77’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Deegan Atherton, Steve Woolley, Jack Brownell, Matt Reay, Steve Wankiewicz (C), Lynton Karkach, Max Pemberton, Connor Brunt (Andrew Gascoigne), Craig Mitchell (Kyle Jordan), Niall Smith

Unused Subs: Leon Mettam, Ben Rhodes, Sam Jones.

Leave a Reply