The Tigers fall to a defeat to league leaders Leek.

Kyle Jordan’s first game as the permanent manager of Worksop Town ended in a 0-4 loss to a very efficient Leek Town side, who leapfrogged Carlton Town at the top of the table after the victory.

Overall in the game, the Tigers put in a workmanlike performance against a strong outfit and with a little bit more clinical finishing, the outcome of the fixture could have been very different.

Worksop almost opened the scoring in the tenth minute. Deegan Atherton’s cross from the right fell to the feet of Leon Mettam who, on the swivel, volleyed an effort which nearly caught out the ‘keeper as the ball crashed against the post and across goal, but unfortunately the effort didn’t manage to find its way over the line.

Five minutes later, Leek Town broke the deadlock through Lewis Short who ran onto Louis Keenan’s pass through to coolly stroke the ball past David Reay.

Worksop then had two very good chances to draw level in the tie.

Firstly, Leon Mettam neatly played Matthew Templeton through on goal who weaved his way past two players, but disappointingly poked his shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Lynton Karkach was then left red-faced as he somehow scuffed Niall Smith’s cut-back wide from six yards out.

Short almost had a second after twenty minutes as again he found himself through on goal. This time, the striker’s initial effort was saved by the feet of Reay before Atherton dove in to block the secondary attempt.

Just after the half hour point, Tim Grice doubled his side’s lead as the forward scampered down the centre before placing the ball into the top corner for his eighth strike of the season.

Jack Brownell, who had an excellent game, saw a magnificent volley from the edge, headed off the line by Oliver Harrison before Atherton dragged the follow up wide.

Moments later, the Blues made another goal-line clearance as Louis Keenan headed Matt Reay’s forceful header away to safety.

Leek added a third as James Kirby, who replaced the injured Grice in the first half, lapped up an uncleared ball inside the area.

On the hour, Matthew Templeton squandered a glorious chance as he brought down a ball over the top, but sliced the finish from 12-yards out.

Danny Patterson then saw a fierce volley on the edge deflect into the path of Matthew Reay who unfortunately slipped as he pulled the trigger and the ball bounced wide.

James Kirby almost got himself a brace as he struck a looping effort towards goal from a Robert Stevenson drilled ball across which David Reay reacted quickly to tip the ball over the bar.

Kirby was then denied again by Reay as the shot-stopper spread himself to come out on top in the one-on-one situation.

Leek put the game to bed as winger Rob Stevenson carried the ball into the area before slipping his strike under Reay.

The full-time whistle went to confirm a second successive defeat for the Tigers.

The positives from the game were the performance from Jack Brownell, as well as the early chances created by Worksop Town – they just need to fine-tune their finishing.

After two incredibly difficult games, Worksop can now look to get back to winning ways as they next travel to Market Drayton Town, who sit at the foot of the table, on Saturday 5th October.

By Devon Cash.

Attendance: 339

Goals: Short (10’), Grice (15’), Kirby (52’), Stevenson (85’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Deegan Atherton, Niall Smith, Jack Brownell, Matthew Reay, Steven Wankiewicz, Danny Patterson (Harry Holland), Matthew Templeton, Leon Mettam (Craig Mitchell), Andrew Gascoigne, Lynton Karkach (Connor Brunt)

Unused Subs: Kyle Jordan, Zac Walker.

Leave a Reply