Whitby Town progressed in the FA Trophy as they came from behind to beat Worksop Town 4-1 at the Turnbull Ground.

Worksop took an early lead through Lynton Karkach before the home side started to get a real foothold in the contest, fighting back to lead at the break before seeing out the win in the second period.

Worksop shocked the NPL Premier Division side as they took the lead after three minutes, Karkach picking up the ball on the right before dispatching a fierce effort at goal which slipped through the gloves of Shane Bland and into the bottom corner.

The home side almost levelled instantly as Matthew Tymon cut sharply across the challenge of Ben Rhodes before seeing his shot superbly saved by the legs of David Reay.

Connor Bell then went close as he broke through the defensive line to wrap a shot across the face of goal and just wide of the far post thanks to the nick it had taken off the shoulder of Reay.

Craig Mitchell almost doubled the lead out of nothing. The marksman spotted Bland off his line and attempted an audacious lob from the half-way point, which had the ‘keeper scrambling before the ball whistled wide.

Moments later, Worksop should have had a second. With the Tigers on the break, Karkach carved out a beautiful ball over the top for Jack Brownell, whose first touch was sublime to take it away from his marker, but the midfielder snatched at the effort and fired the chance over the bar.

The hosts drew level just after the half-hour mark as Tymon nodded home at the back stick from Jassem Sukar’s looped cross.

On the stroke of half-time, the Seasiders took the lead from the spot after Ben Rhodes thwarted Jake Hackett’s progress in the area. The winger stepped up and struck his spot-kick under the dive of Reay to make it 2-1.

The second half was rather more flat, with the home side just holding onto the ball whilst Worksop pressed high up the pitch.

Mitchell should have equalised with twenty minutes to go. After great dribbling from Steve Woolley, “the magician” squared the ball to the frontman, who took too long to get the ball out of his feet which allowed two covering defenders to block and clear.

Ultimately Worksop were left to rue their missed opportunities as Whitby began to stride away with the lead. Bell’s quick feet meant he was allowed to bait the sliding attempts of Steven Wankiewicz and Rhodes before coolly slotting past Reay.

Then, with four minutes remaining, the higher-placed outfit put the tie to bed with an exquisite finish from the Seasiders’ captain Tymon, who curled the ball from the edge of the box into the top corner on the swivel.

Whitby held onto the ball to see out the game against a depleted Worksop Town side, who had battled hard against the odds.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 443

Goals: Tymon (36’, 86’), Hackett (p 41’), Bell (74’); Karkach (3’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Deegan Atherton, Steve Woolley, Jack Brownell (Jack Morton), Ben Rhodes, Steven Wankiewicz, Danny Patterson, Max Pemberton, Connor Brunt (Kyle Jordan), Craig Mitchell, Lynton Karkach

Unused Subs: Zac Walker and James Kay

Leave a Reply