A late Reece Fielding strike rescued a point for Stocksbridge Park Steels as they drew 2-2 with Worksop Town at Bracken Moor.

Worksop started the game very brightly before the home side slowly grew into the tie after twenty minutes.

Worksop got off to a great start as inside the first minute, Steven McDonnell powered his way towards the byline before chipping it over to Craig Mitchell who headed home the early opener.

Deegan Atherton then forced a save out of Edward Hall as his looping header from Steve Woolley’s corner had the Steels number one scrambling back onto his line.

James Gregory, who made his debut for the visitors, then saw a fizzed effort blocked by the out-stretched leg of Michael Trench.

Stocksbridge’s first opportunity fell to the head of Scott Ruthven, who poorly glanced Josh Nodder’s free-kick wide of the far post.

Luke Mangham then dragged wide as he hit Robert Ludlam’s pass on the swivel from the edge.

Gregory almost opened his account for Worksop on the half-hour mark, however the left-winger fired high over the bar.

As the half petered out, Kurtis Turner and captain Liam McFadyen went close to pulling a goal back as the former hit the side-netting, while the latter fluffed a chance behind him.

The Steels came out of the traps running in the second period and put the pressure on the Tigers as they searched for the equaliser.

They thought they had their leveller as they worked the ball towards the far left edge of the area where Mangham was denied by the slide of Danny Patterson.

Lynton Karkach then missed a golden opportunity to extend the Tigers’ lead as the winger somehow volleyed wide of the upright from a McDonnell floated delivery.

Stocksbridge eventually found the equaliser just nine minutes after the restart as Nodder’s wayward cross into the area flew over the head of David Reay, onto the post, and across the line.

Frustratingly, Connor Brunt missed a chance at the back post before Mitchell saw his effort blocked by the desperate defending of Fielding and McFadyen.

A minute later, the Tigers went back ahead as Brunt took his next chance and fired home at the back stick, following good play from Ben Rhodes who drilled the ball across.

Worksop looked to compact their defence and hold onto what they had for the remaining ten minutes, however when the Tigers come to Bracken Moor, there always seems to be late drama.

That statement rang true as in the first minute of stoppage time: Fielding was on hand to rifle home a goalmouth scramble and to rescue a point for the Steels.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 191

Goals: Nodder (54’), Fielding (90+1’); Mitchell (1’), Brunt (80’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes, Steven Woolley, Danny Patterson, Deegan Atherton, Max Pemberton, Lynton Karkach (Connor Brunt), Jack Brownell, Craig Mitchell, Steven McDonnell, James Gregory (Steven Wankiewicz)

Unused Subs: Harry Holland, Alister Haydock, Kyle Jordan.

Leave a Reply