Words: Devon Cash

Worksop Town’s inconsistency continued as they suffered another defeat, after two late strikes handed Glossop North End a 2-0 victory at Sandy Lane.

The Tigers were handed an eighth home loss of the season, as goals from Mohammed Sheriff and Braulio Maecio, which both came in the final moments, settled a rather tedious contest which neither side could could really get a true foothold in.

The game was built on a lot of half-chances which never really troubled either ‘keeper.

The first opportunity of the fixture fell to Maecio, whose quick thinking allowed him to take aim from a sideways ball, but Steven Wankiewicz was on hand to turn the effort wide.

Even top-scorer Craig Mitchell couldn’t inspire the opener, as the forward saw his effort from just inside the box deflected wide by Devon Matthews before seeing an attempted cushioned volley, from Ben Rhodes’ excellent delivery, fly high over the top.

Twenty minutes in, Steven McDonnell’s determination helped the forward to steal possession away from the feet of Bakari Coulibaly, dribbling the ball towards the by-line before pulling it back to Steven Woolley, who checked the ball onto his left foot before angling his effort agonisingly wide.

Coulibaly then almost set up the opener, as his surging run ended with the full-back drilling the ball across the face of goal; however, it had just too much power on it, meaning Porya Ahmadi was unable to get a toe-end to the cross to take it goal-wards.

Worksop’s best opportunity came moments later. Woolley – a master of the set-piece – tried his luck from a free-kick from twenty-five yards out, which beat the wall but cannoned off the underside of the bar, onto the line, and back into play before being cleared.

Matthews went close with a header and Ahmadi curled wide of the top right as the half came to a close.

The second period was just a dreary as the opening half.

Stuart Richardson had a big call to make ten minutes after the restart, when Will Hartshorne swiped the legs of McDonnell as the forward beat him for pace and looked to bear down on goal. The referee consulted his linesman before only brandishing a yellow to the defender, who may have been considered the last man.

Richardson’s next big decision came on 77 minutes, as Ahmadi looked to have been brought down in the area after the forward had flicked the ball over the head of Wankiewicz. However, the referee instantly waved away any claims of a potential spot-kick.

With ten minutes remaining, David Reay made a superb stop as he rushed off his line to close down and save Maecio’s stroked effort.

However, the goalkeeper was unable to keep out Glossop’s next attack, as sloppy passing allowed Sheriff to intercept and race towards goal before firing the ball across the body of Reay and into the bottom corner.

McDonnell then went close to levelling the contest as he saw a long-range drive superbly saved at the near post by Latham.

North End confirmed all three points in the second minute of added time, as Henry Limpishi provided an accurate cross towards the back stick where Maecio headed home the second.

The win for Glossop meant the visitors leapfrogged Worksop into 12th place, leaving Worksop still searching for their first back-to-back league wins of the season.

Attendance: 419

Goals: Sheriff (84’), Maecio (90+2)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes (Lynton Karkach), Max Pemberton, Steven Woolley, Deegan Atherton, Steven Wankiewicz, Daniel Patterson (Jack Brownell), Harry Holland (Connor Brunt), Craig Mitchell, Steven McDonnell, James Gregory.

Unused Subs: James Kay, Kyle Jordan.

Leave a Reply