Words: Devon Cash

Ben Usher-Shipway’s second-half volley was enough for the Royals as Sutton Coldfield Town beat Worksop Town 1-0 at Sandy Lane.

It was, again, a case of missed chances for the Tigers, who announced before the match that they must raise over £6,000 within the next week to reach that £30k mark, as they fell to their second defeat in three days.

It was Worksop who started the game the better, Matthew Sykes going close with a volley which clipped the leg of James Mutton in order to send the ball behind. The following corner from Steven Woolley was headed wide by Steven McDonnell at the back post.

Sutton had the ball in the back of the net inside ten minutes when Reece Leek slotted home from an Edwin Ahenkorah knock-down, however the linesman had already put his flag into the air for the initial header to Leek.

Twenty minutes in, Usher-Shipway made a surging run down the right before pulling the ball back into the path of Ryan Moore, who saw his thunderous strike blocked by the perfectly-timed sliding challenge of Lynton Karkach.

Aaron Sennett-Neilson impressed on his debut for the Tigers, his quick feet and movement allowing him to get past a number of players before teeing up Freddy Tracey, who curled wide of the upright.

On the half-hour mark, Ahenkorah thought he had given his side the lead when Ryan Shaw’s corner fell to the forward’s feet, however his first-time effort was saved by the feet of Reay, causing the ball to loop over the bar.

Worksop struck the crossbar with six minutes of the half remaining. After a good interchange of passes from the Tigers, Karkach threaded the ball through to Woolley whose first touch took him away from the stagnant Aris Christophorou; his rifled effort beat Gwilliams but crashed against the frame before being cleared.

The start of the second half was heavily dictated by the away side, who would go on to to take the lead during this period of dominance.

Firstly, Worksop got a warning sign that they must switch on when Sam Jones sliced a clearance into the path of Ben George, whose cut-back was dragged wide by Leek on the edge.

However, a minute later, Worksop failed to deal with a through-ball down the left where Moore floated an unchallenged ball across the face of goal, and Usher-Shipway ghosted towards the back post to slam the ball into the roof of the net.

Sennett-Neilson then went close to levelling proceedings as his bullet header was cleared off the line by Shaw.

Worksop’s chances of getting back into the game increased on the hour mark, as Mutton was sent off for a stamp on Sykes after the defender had conceded a soft foul in the build-up.

Kyle Jordan brought on Matthew Templeton in order to push an extra man further forward and within a minute of his introduction, the winger brought down Brownell’s cross in the area but buried the ball into the side-netting.

Sutton did, however, escape the dose of pressure from Worksop for one moment as Regan Ganley lofted the ball into the path of Reece Gibson, who held off a challenge from Ben Rhodes before curling an effort against the frame.

Gwilliams then made an outstanding finger-tip save in stoppage time in order to push Sykes’ dipping effort over the bar.

Worksop persisted to throw everything they could at Sutton, however the Midlands outfit stayed firm to claim the win.

Attendance: 377

Goals: Usher-Shipway (51’)

Worksop Town: Reay, Karkach, Jones (Brunt), Woolley, Atherton, Rhodes, Sennett-Neilson (Templeton), Brownell (Jordan), Tracey, McDonnell, Sykes

Unused Subs: Beaumont, Kay

Leave a Reply