Words: Devon Cash

Worksop Town succumbed to their fourth straight defeat as they were beaten 3-1 by Sheffield FC at the Home of Football Stadium.

It was four goals in a nightmare ten-minute spell which decided the outcome of the game in the first half. Worksop struggled to get a foothold throughout the game and had David Reay to thank for keeping the scoreline down towards the end of this fixture.

Steven McDonnell had the game’s opening chance in the fifth minute, as he rose highest to loop a header towards the target which landed the wrong side of the far post.

Moments later, Jordan Chapell forced Reay into his first save of the afternoon, as after the midfielder had elected to play the corner short to Marc Newsham, he curled the returning pass towards goal which was saved by the goalkeeper.

On 24 minutes, Matthew Templeton’s miscued header ended up being the perfect through-ball for Sheldon Jordan, who latched onto the unlikely set-up, however Reay came out on top by saving with his feet.

On the half-hour mark, Freddy Tracey instinctively flicked the ball into the path of Matthew Sykes, who surged forward before sliding the ball into the path of McDonnell, whose first-time effort was held down low by Jonathan Hedge.

Sheffield, who had shaded the possession stats, took a deserved lead on 34 minutes as Newsham ran onto a lofted ball from Cody Prior before stabbing the ball into the bottom corner.

Worksop did, however, equalise just a minute later as James Gregory, who made 310 appearances for Sheffield, managed to run onto a loose ball in order to lob it over an out-rushing Hedge and into an unguarded net.

Worksop were level for just three minutes, as Sheldon Jordan managed to head home from a Prior free-kick to put the Club back ahead.

The world’s oldest football club then made it 3-1 before the break, as Mitchell Dunne managed to beat both Deegan Atherton and Ben Rhodes to a ball into the area in order to loop the ball over a scrambling Reay.

The next period saw Worksop up the tempo slightly, however they did look like a side that believed they had already been beaten before the break.

A minutes after the restart, Sykes cut in from the right and onto his cultured left foot in order to rifle the ball towards the far corner, but the effort whistled inches wide.

On the hour, Newsham forced Reay into a fantastic save, as the forward cut inside the body of Atherton before seeing his curled attempt pushed wide by Reay.

Ten minutes later, Worksop’s best opportunity of the second half arrived from a free-kick situated 25 yards from goal, as substitute Connor Brunt beat the wall but saw his effort superbly parried wide by Hedge.

Reay then produced a magnificent double save to maintain the already sizeable deficit. Firstly, he managed to stretch out a foot and save from Dunne, who attempted to drag his shot across goal. Reay then jumped up and instantly threw himself in front of a follow-up from Newsham to deny the forward of his 13th goal of the season – this was the heart and desire that Worksop had missed all afternoon.

The goalkeeper was swiftly called back into action minutes later, as he deflected Dunne’s effort wide before getting a strong hand to Nathan Nyamsi-Hendji’s snapshot from the edge from the following corner.

The final whistle came minutes later to sink Kyle Jordan’s side into 12th place in the NPL South East Division.

Attendance: 367

Goals: Newsham (34’), Jordan (38’), Dunne (43’); Gregory (35’)

Worksop Town: Reay, Karkach (Brunt), Templeton, Woolley, Atherton, Rhodes, Sykes, Brownell (Sennett-Neilson), Tracey (Mitchell), McDonnell, Gregory

Unused Subs: Holland, Kay

Leave a Reply