Staveley Miners Welfare vs Worksop Town FC

September 16, 2017
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Substitute Kyle Jordan scored in the dying moments of the game to take a point back to Worksop.

It was a game of tennis regarding the chances created, end to end throughout the game. Worksop opened the chances as Denton nicked the ball off Josh Madin and played it to Bishop who cut inside and curled his effort just wide of the post.

Jepson then had a chance from twenty five yards from a freekick however the shot was accurate but tame as Matty Leese caught the ball as he dived to his right.

Staveley went close after the half hour mark when Jack Turnball passed it to Robson Doolan who took the ball across his body and hit a left footed striker towards goal, however debutant Jason Alexander, who signed a few days previous to the game, parried his shot wide.

The big talking point of the game came when James Jepson spotted Leese off his line and executed a perfectly placed chip over the back-pedalling keeper. The ball hit the bar, bounced about two or three yards over the line and bounced back over. Everyone in the ground must have thought Worksop had took the lead but the ref gave nothing and the ball was cleared. This happened on the stroke of halftime and both teams went into the break goalless.

Staveley opened the scoring shortly after the break when the corner from Nelthorpe fell to the feet of an unmarked Ash Rawson and the captain fired into the top corner past Alexander.

Welfare almost doubled their lead five minutes later when Doolan was sent through on goal by his midfield partner but he dragged his shot wide of the keepers left. A few minutes later Josh Barker snuck his way in to the box only to fire across the face of goal.

Five minutes from time the Trojans had another great chance to claim all three points when front man Tyla Bell hit a peach of a volley towards the bottom right hand corner however Alexander was on hand to show his shot stopping class to save down low.

This would prove costly as the Tigers equalised to snatch a point from the hosts a minute from time. Alexander sent a long ball into the box, Wankiewicz rose highest and headed it down to Kyle Jordan who placed a lovely side footed volley into the bottom corner for 1-1.

A hard fought game finished honours even, it saw many fans glad to get the draw but furious with the referees decision-making throughout the game and to not allow Jepson’s strike. We now move on to a midweek away trip to Liversidge.

Lineup: Alexander, Boyd (Jordan), Trench (Chapell), Jepson, Phillips, Wankiewicz, Davies (Barnett), Denton, Turner, Bishop
Unused Subs:

Goals: Jordan( 89’), Rawson (51’)