Barton Town vs Worksop Town FC

October 17, 2017
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Barton Town 2-3 Worksop Town

Worksop turn around a two goal deficit to win with the last kick of the game.

Barton raced into the lead with a brace from Gareth Barlow in the first twelve minutes of the game but a goal from Alec Denton and own goals from Langton and Barlow secured all three points for Worksop Town.

The home side opened the scoring on seven minutes when Jamie Richardson raced down an open left flank to hit a low cross into the path of striker Gareth Barlow who tucked the ball into the net from just a few yards out.

Barlow was gifted his brace five minutes later when a sloppy Worksop pass was played into the strikers feet, Barlow raced forward and rounded the keeper to slot it past Alexander.

The Tigers pulled a goal back straight away and a minute later Bishop dinked the ball in to the six yard box for Alec Denton to poke over the keeper.

Steve Wankiewicz had two great chances to equalise in the space of five minutes. Firstly Varley crossed in a clearance from his long throw which was met by the head of Wankiewicz but Jody Barford caught his effort. Then he heel flicked Jepson’s corner but his shot was subsequently parried away.

Goalkeeper Jason Alexander was then carried off as he collapsed to the ground holding his head. Outfield player Jack Barnett stepped up and replaced the 6ft 6” keeper in between the sticks on the half hour mark.

On the stroke of halftime Richardson tried his luck from the edge of the box after he wrong footed substitute Liversidge and hit his strike on the face of the post. That was all for the first half and the home side went in leading 2-1.

The second half began and the Tigers came out all guns blazing, Denton almost got his second when he was played through one-on-one with Barford, however the Tigers number nine failed to produce a flick quick enough and the keeper rushed out and blocked the effort.

Shortly after stand-in keeper Jack Barnett was called into action and made two good saves, the hosts seemed intent on testing the versatile Barnett whenever the ball came into the Tigers half. Richardson, who was a nuisance all night on that left hand side, bent his shot across the face of goal, it seemed to be creeping in until Barnett got down quickly to push the ball away from goal. Then Langton hit an audacious effort from 30 yards, the ball was swerving in the air but Barnett watched it all the way and kept it out.

The team in Amber and Black were level six minutes from time thanks to a slice of luck. Ethan Nelson headed Varley’s cross into the path of Wankiewicz, Steve’s volley was going just wide of the post until Mitch Langton arrived at the back post and cleared the ball into his own net.

Jack Barnett then pulled off a cracking save at the other end to keep the point in tact as he got fingertips to tip over Hutchinson’s fierce strike that was dipping in to the net.

That point soon turned to three as Worksop found a winner with the last kick of the game. Jepson floated a ball into the box, Micah Bishop redirected it towards goal with an header and Barton Town Striker Barlow accidentally guided it into his own net in an attempt to keep it out.

A lucky but hard fought three points away in Barton-Upon-Humber in another Jekyll and Hyde performance from the lads.

We now face a trip on Saturday to Haughmond FC in the FA Vase and it promises to be a great day out with two coaches carrying the Tigers faithful. Why not come down early and have a bacon or sausage sarnie along with a pint before we hit the road, Clubhouse will be open from 9am.

Attendance: 101

Goals: Barlow (7’,12’); Denton (13’), Langton OG (84’), Barlow OG (90’)

Lineup: Alexander (Liversidge), Barnett, Phillips, Jepson, Varley, Wankiewicz, Davies (Currie), Hill, Denton, Jordan, Bishop

Unused Subs: Thompson, Trench