Worksop Town FC vs Liversedge

January 6, 2018
Score: 4 - 4

Match Report

Ex Tiger Rhys Davies comes back to haunt Worksop.

The game looked nailed on for three points to the home side going into the closing stages but the visitors managed to steal a point from under Worksop’s noses late on.

Tigers took the lead through Mitch Husbands, a close range volley following a free-kick, an own goal from Max Elliot gave Worksop a two goal advantage ten minutes later. Liversedge replied straight after through winger Davies, the former Worksop player was clearly keen to make an impression after spending a few months with us earlier in the season, he suitably did with his direct running and pace by scoring a wonderful goal with the outside of his boot into the far corner to pull a goal back for the away side.

The second half was end to end stuff, the Tigers got further in front from a terrific strike from winger Micah Bishop. In what was a contender for goal of the season, ‘Bish’ seemed to aim a cross to the back post from 30 yards but the ball struck the post and into an open goal with the keeper stranded.

Just six minutes later the ding-dong battle continued and the visitors got themselves back into the game. On the counter attack the ball fell to Walton whose strike was too much for youngster Greatorex in goal, 3-2.

Another contender for goal of the season soon after came on the 83rd minute, substitute Ash Burbeary came on for Gareth Curtis as the Tigers set up for an attacking corner, the cross was cleared to the edge of the box and Burbeary ran onto the loose ball and rifled an half volley into the top of the visitors goal to put the Tigers two in front with seven minutes left.

Liversedge made the last few moments interesting and never gave up. after an attack down the left, the striker went down in the box after clashing with Greatorex and a penalty was given which didn’t go down well with the Tigers back line, they were protesting to the referee who waved the Worksop players away. That man again Davies converted from 12 yards with a well taken spot-kick which was drilled straight down the middle for 4-3 with four minutes to play of normal time.

Late, late drama at Sandy Lane ensued, after a pumped ball into the box from the visitors, striker Walton got onto the end of a square ball and his thunderbolt finish into the corner stole a point for Liversedge, resulting in a third successive draw for Hindley’s men.

Despite plenty of chances for the home side, including a goal-mouth scramble from a Lee Hill effort and Gareth Curtis heading over from close range, the Tigers will rue their defensive inadequacies on a cold afternoon but the football entertainment on show helped keep supporters warm with plenty to discuss.

Line up: Greatorex, Woolley (capt), Phillips, Jepson(Hodder), Liversidge, Varley, Curtis(Burbeary), Husbands, Denton (Baird), Hill, Bishop

Unused subs: Mlynarski, Higginson,

Goals: Husbands (14), Elliot (24 own goal), Davies (28, 86 pen) Bishop (67), Walton (73, 90), Burbeary (83)

Booking: Phillips (79), Elliot (87)

Attendance: 403