Garforth Town vs Worksop Town FC

February 10, 2018
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

It was a case of what could of been for the Tigers at Garforth on a damp and cold afternoon. The game finished 3-2 to the home side, the same score-line as the previous fixture at Sandy Lane.

Worksop lined up in a 4-3-3 and picked up where they left off from last weekends win against Clipstone, Holden was again in the holding role and Husbands was captain up top. Woolley and Hill were absent having not passed fitness tests.

Ex-Tiger Mark Simpson again showed his prolific nature in the box with a cool finish into the corner to open the scoring on the 15th minute. He could well of scored minutes earlier after turning inside Jordan Hodder in the box and unleashing a powerful effort from the angle.

The Tigers were soon back on level terms after rallying well, it came through Conor Higginson’s tidy shot to the keepers near post after cutting inside his man brilliantly in the box. The goal came courtesy of an impressive interchange of passing from a short corner involving James Milner, Higginson and Jack Barnett. The Garforth keeper had to limp off before the restart began having injured his shoulder trying to keep out the effort.

The home side went back in-front just seven minutes later, a deep cross from the right was headed back across by Callum Ward for Mark Simpson to prod home his second six yards out, despite Alex Boyds best efforts to stop him.

The half-time whistle blew and Garforth went in leading 2-1. This was not before James Milner was taken to hospital to be checked out for concussion, the winger stooped to control with his head on the edge of the oppositions box and received a clatter in the forehead for his troubles. Milner stayed down for a while and subsequently had to be substituted, Milligan and Buckley were understandably wanting answers from the officials on the whistle.

The second half began and the hosts were soon 3-1 ahead. Callum Ward bundled in after a scrappy few seconds in the box with defenders struggling to clear their lines sufficiently, despite Fielding’s best efforts Ward was on hand to tap in from yards out.

Worksop were playing some decent football and Higginson and Husbands went close with powerful strikes. Centre half Liversidge limped off with 15 minutes to go and the Tigers went with a flat 4-4-2 with Dunbar and Husbands the targets up top.

Young Jack Holden impressed again in the holding role and Conor Higginson looked dangerous on the ball with freedom to go forward, the Tigers did force a late consolation in the 92nd minute.

Left back Will Sutton got forward well and hung up a cross to the back post, he found  Mitch Husbands who headed back across looking for Dunbar and the ball seemed to come off a Garforth centre half and into the corner.

It was too little too late for us but there was some encouraging signs on show, we looked more of an attacking threat when in a 4-4-2 in the second half and that will give Milligan and Buckley much food for thought going into the Harrogate Railway game on Wednesday night.

TIGERS XI: Fielding (GK), Hodder, Liversidge (Dunbar), Boyd, Templeton, Holden, Higginson, Barnett, Milner (Sutton), Baird (Mlynarski), Husbands (C).

GOALS: Simpson (15, 34) Ward (53) Higginson (27) Own goal (92)

ATT: 158

TIGERS STAR MAN: Conor Higginson…

Playing in the number 8 role ‘Higgo’ was dangerous all afternoon, although he didn’t have it all his own way he took his goal very well and could have had more, he found space on numerous occasions and tested the keeper. The passionate midfielder demands just as much from his team-mates as he does himself and was very vocal all afternoon, the 90 minutes in the bank will do him the world of good after recent injury troubles.

By Jake Brown.