Worksop Town FC vs Aylestone Park

September 9, 2017
Score: 5 - 2

Match Report

Worksop cruised into the second round of the FA Vase scoring five goals for the third game in a row.

The Tigers hit the ground running in their FA Vase adventure, Worksop defender Sam Liversedge opened the scoring in the 2nd minute, Alec Denton notched his first hat trick of the season and Dalby replied for the visitors in between the Denton goals in the first half however, the frontman put the game beyond doubt two minutes into the second half. Aylestone scored late on through Zac Yesuf, before Conor Higginson scored from the penalty spot with a minute to go to make it five.

Worksop took the lead two minutes in, a delightful in-swinging corner from Higginson fell to Liversedge at the back post and his fierce strike struck the inside of the crossbar and landed into the Aylestone goal.
The Tigers doubled their lead ten minutes later, an unbelievable through ball to man in form Denton put him thorough on goal beating both Aylestone defenders and beat the out rushing goalkeeper Tom Gutteridge to the ball, leaving the keeper in no mans land for the Worksop striker to slide the ball into an empty net.

Aylestone midfielder Dalby replied almost instantly, manufacturing a beautiful curling effort on goal from 20 yards out beating Kennedy which flew into the top left hand corner of the Worksop goal to grab a goal back.
Great football from Worksop for their third seven minutes before the interval, Higginson was the provider for the goal again chipping the ball over the Park goalkeeper to Denton who slivered like a snake to prod the ball into an unguarded net.

Three minutes after the second half kicked off, Denton became the hat-trick hero out muscling the Park defender to latch onto a great through ball, Gutteridge was late off his line giving the Tigers centre forward time to round the keeper for the second time, which he did to perfection after sliding the ball into another unguarded goal to surely put Worksop into the second round.

The visitors were reduced to ten men when the Park skipper Neat gave the referee a mouthful which didn’t please the man in authority, resulting in the man in black to hand Neat a second yellow and an early bath for the away captain.

Aylestone on the counter attack pulled a goal back after a scrappy game of pinball in the Worksop box, Aylestone striker Zac Yessuf chipped the ball over Kennedy to give the Leicestershire side a consolation goal, despite the efforts of Micah Bishop to keep it out.
Higginson put the game to bed from the penalty spot, smashing home a very well taken spot kick to give the Tigers their fifteenth goal in three games.

Despite Worksop carrying several injuries, most notably Micheal Trench and Jordan Hodder who both picked up injuries in the second half. Hodder had to be taken off after three subs were made by Worksop resulting in the Tigers finishing on ten men like their visitors despite not having a man sent off.

Worksop line up: Kennedy, Hodder, Trench(Turner), Thompson, Liversedge(Boyd), Wankiewicz (Capt), Davies, Hill, Denton(Simpson), Higginson, Bishop

Goals: Liversedge (2) Denton (13, 38, 47) Dalby (14), Yusef (82) Higginson (89)

Bookings: Thompson (37) Neat (40, 67) Wankiewicz (42)

Unused subs: Jordan, Valente