Dunston UTS vs Worksop Town FC

November 11, 2017
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Dunston UTS 0-1 Worksop Town

The Tigers prove too solid for Dunston to break down on another wonderful afternoon for the Club.

Worksop responded to last weeks defeat at Hall Road Rangers with a Denton winner and a convincing performance means the Tigers proceed to the next round.

A fairly even first half started with Liversidge volleying just wide, Varley knocked a ball into the middle, the ball was headed away to Liversidge whose side footed volley looped high and to the left of the post.

Hill went close a quarter of an hour into the game when Currie crossed far into the hosts’ box for Hilly who rose highest but headed just over.

Thirty minutes in Mark Fitzpatrick held up the ball in the box, he set up Stafford whose shot was blocked bravely by Liversidge and into Alexander’s hands.

On the stroke of halftime Dunston went within inches of taking the lead when Fitzpatrick latched onto a Hill clearance but could only hit the advertising boards next to the goal and both teams went in at halftime goalless.

Worksop opened the scoring four minutes after the break when Woolley broke away from his marker and played it to Turner, Jordan returned the favour and played it back to the Tigers Skipper, Woolley beautifully picked out the run of Denton and the forward took a touch and slotted it past Aiden Grant from a tight angle to put the Tigers ahead and sent the away support into raptures.

Ten minutes later Dunston were almost gifted a goal after confusion between Lee Hill and Matt Varley going for the same ball allowed it to fall to Fitzpatrick but the striker again smashed wide.

Shortly after the home side had a great chance to draw level when Rundle beat Hill to the ball, he put a dangerous cross into the six yard box but Varley got there first to head over from almost underneath his crossbar. Then from the resulting corner Ben Pollock saw his header at the front post flash across the face of goal untouched and out for a goalkick.

Worksop thought they had doubled their lead when Turner converted Hills flick on at the back post but he had his strike ruled out for offside.

The defence were solid all game and put in a brilliant display to keep out the North-East side. An example of this came when Sam Liversidge threw himself into a shot from Scott Heslop that looked certain to of been the equaliser if it wasn’t for Sam’s bravery.

Worksop fought like soldiers on Remembrance Day and defended in numbers at the death. They saw the game out magnificently and are through to the next round of the FA Vase.


Lineup: Alexander, Hodder, Hill, Thompson, Liversidge, Varley, Turner, Woolley, Denton (Jepson), Currie (Jordan), Bishop

Unused Subs: Fielding, Higginson, Wankiewicz

Goals: Denton (49’)

Attendance: 368