Harrogate RA vs Worksop Town FC

April 30, 2018
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Harrogate Railway Athletic 0-1 Worksop Town

Tigers End Losing Streak In Solid Performance

Manager Duncan Milligan was relieved and proud with how a youthful Worksop Town side conducted themselves. Michael Trench netted the only goal of the game from the spot after Luke Black was fouled in the box.

The game began with two early chances for the hosts. Firstly Jack Holden headed a pump upfield to just outside the box where Barnard tapped the ball over Boyd to Underwood who saw his looping shot go over the bar. Then, Shane Hamilton slotted Jordan Miissin through on goal but as he went to pull the trigger, Holden made an excellent tackle to deny him a sight of goal.

Worksop’s first major opportunity came twenty minutes into the game. A good exchange of passes between Mlynarski and Phillips allowed space to open up for Overton who eventually received the ball, turned his man and hit a curling effort with the outside of his left foot wide of the upright.

Worksop struck the woodwork on the half hour mark. Luke Black stormed down the right wing before driving a lovely low cross towards the centre where Joel Phillips saw his shot cannon onto the crossbar and over for a goal-kick.

Railway fired back with a chance of their own six minutes after Town hit the bar. Lewis Barnard delivered a perfectly weighted ball towards the back stick for Josh Underwood who nodded on to the top of the net.

A few minutes later, Worksop Town were awarded a penalty. Luke Black burst down the right and towards the box outpacing Nathan Alexander on his way. As Black entered the box, Alexander swiped at the heels of the young winger leaving referee Jack Hall with no choice but to point to the penalty spot. Captain Michael Trench stepped up and confidently hammered the ball into the top corner from twelve yards out.

Trench’s opener must have spread confidence as the Tigers held onto the ball well while producing some excellent passing moves along the way. Tyler Lysons won the ball on halfway before fizzing a ferocious strike towards goal from thirty-five yards out however the chance flew just inches past the post.

On the stroke of half-time, Harrogate were denied a certain equaliser by the quick reactions of Joshua Diggles. A cross by Andreas McLintosh from the right-hand side was volleyed towards goal by Underwood but Diggles reacted swiftly to superbly tip over the fierce effort. The following corner was headed towards goal at the front post by Lincoln Adams but again Diggles was on hand to stop the effort and hold onto the ball.

The referee whistled for the break leaving the Tigers fans happy with how their team conducted themselves.

Diggles was amongst the plaudits once again as he produced another fine save. Jordan Miissin headed a deep cross from Thomas Swailes down for Underwood who hit his shot on the half-volley but his well struck attempt was matched by Diggles who stretched out and parried the ball over the bar.

Both sides saw chances pass them by on fifty-two minutes. A dinked cross towards the edge of the box was flashed across goal and wide by the right boot of McLintosh. Worksop countered through Mlynarski, Igor ran towards the byline before pulling the ball back for Luke Black who disappointingly poked the ball wide.

On the hour mark, Worksop missed another golden opportunity. Michael Trench’s superb run didn’t reap the rewards it deserved as he beat three men before seeing his accurate cross touched wide by Luke Smith in the middle.

The Tigers were in on goal again moments later. Dan Dekanski saw his clearance fizz up into the air, Mlynarski chested the ball down for Matty Overton who then rifled a thunderous shot towards goal which kissed the post as it flew just wide.

Phillips then failed to pounce on a gifted chance with fifteen minutes to go. Dekanski sliced his clearance straight into the path of Joel Phillips but the Tigers striker fumbled his shot into the sidenetting. The Rail countered, Underwood found himself with the ball in acres of space. He darted forward until Baird thwarted his sniff at goal as he chased him down and blocked his shot.

Several minutes later, the home side were again denied an equaliser by the desperate defending of Worksop who were determined to confirm their deserved win. Hamilton volleyed the ball across the box for Barnard who controlled it before witnessing his shot, towards the bottom corner, excellently saved by the arm of Diggles. Following the corner, Harrogate captain Lincoln Adams saw his looping header nodded off the line by Tyler Lysons.

The Tigers should have wrapped up all three points with ten minutes to go. Harry Dunbar nipped in front to head Holden’s ball over the top past the keeper but unfortunately for Dunbar, past the post as well.

Railway almost nicked a point at the end. Chris Senior knocked the ball past Trench and was clean through on goal until Joshua Diggles raced off his line to close down the substitute and save his shot.

The Tigers knew the remaining minutes of the game were going to be long and hard however, they managed the time well and kept possession brilliantly.

The final whistle went to confirm Town’s first victory after twelve defeats on the bounce. This win will rejuvenate the squad and pump some much needed confidence into the side.

We next face a trip to Parkgate F.C. in the last game of the 2017/18 campaign.

By Devon Louis Cash

STAR MAN: Joshua Diggles
It was hard to pick a man of the match after such a good team display. Luke Smith was creative, Jack Holden was fantastic and Michael Trench was a class above as he led the team. However, I’m going for Diggles as he made many match winning saves to earn the Tigers all three points. Diggles gave everything he could to keep the ball out of the net.

Attendance: 58

Goals: Trench (38’PEN)

Lineup: Diggles, Boyd, Trench, Lysons, Holden, Baird, Black, Smith, Phillips (Dunbar), Overton, Mlynarski (Robinson)

Unused Subs: Milner