Bridlington Town vs Worksop Town FC

March 13, 2018
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Tigers beaten at the seaside

On a baltic evening the Tigers visited the Neil Hudgell Solicitors Stadium in search of Duncan Milligan’s first away win in charge. It was always going to be a tough ask due to the experience and passing style that Bridlington have in their locker.

In the opening stages of the game, Bridlington dominated possession and looked dangerous going forward, however, the rock solid Worksop defence kept the Yorkshire side at bay.

Ten minutes in, the Tigers first chance came from James Milner chasing down a loose ball, his beautiful cross fell to the back post where unfortunately there wasn’t anyone there to meet it.

Just before the half hour mark, Mitch Husbands made a fantastic run to the byline and squared the ball which seemed to fall into the keepers hands. However the keeper ended up spilling the ball into the path of Overton who tapped Worksop into the lead. This was Matty’s first goal in Amber and Black since his loan move from Doncaster Rovers.

The goal sprung Worksop into life. Moments after the goal, a fizzing shot from the edge by skipper Husbands caused havoc with the Bridlington keeper who, once again, spilled the ball out but no one was quick enough to react to the free gift.

‘The Seasiders’ went close through Rikki Paylor on thirty-three minutes. Tim Taylor drilled his corner towards the edge of the area where Paylor scuffed his effort just wide of the post.

Out of nothing the hosts got back on level terms, a clever ball was whipped into the Tigers box which Bradshaw got on the end of, his header looped over Fielding and into the back of the net.

Holden then went close to nudging the Tigers ahead four minutes before the break. Jack Barnett swung in a freekick that was won brilliantly by skilful dribbling from James Milner, towards the six yard area. Jack Holden threw himself at the cross and headed towards goal but Barford caught well.

Bridlington set up to ‘out-pass’ the Tigers but on the stroke of halftime they resorted to route one. James Faulkner switched the ball from left to right finding Louis Rafter. Rafter shot fiercely first time but Callum Fielding was switched on and caught well.

The ref blew for halftime and both teams went in with honours even. The Tigers performed quite well in the first period and were hoping to take the positives into the second half.

After the restart, goalscorer Overton burst down the wing. He cut in and saw his curling strike head towards the bottom corner, unfortunately the keeper read the change and kept the score line level by holding onto the ball.

Moments later the hosts almost got their noses in front, Faulkners ball into the box found Archie Brown. Brown’s half-hearted attempt could only found Fielding’s hands.

Archie Brown then tested Callum Fielding just before the hour mark. Brown found space thirty yards from goal. He hit a ferocious effort towards the net but Callum Fielding matched his effort and palmed the ball away from danger.

Following the chance, Browns ability prevailed as he put Bridlington ahead on 67 minutes. Jake Day won a freekick to the left-hand side of the box. Brown stepped up and curled his attempt around the wall and into the bottom corner. The freekick was too powerful for Callum Fielding who could only get his finger-tips on it.

Five minutes later Bridlington’s comeback was complete as Chris Adams put the home side 3-1 up. Worksop lost possession in the centre of the park. The ball broke out to Chris Adams who carried the ball twenty yards before sliding it past an outrushing Fielding.

Worksop were looking for a way back into the game and went close ten minutes from time. Matty Overton intercepted Alex Knaggs pass and cleared it over halfway to Milner. Milner then slotted the ball through to Baird who prematurely shot towards goal. The shot trickled towards the keepers right and Barford collapsed down and held it.

Jay Bownes advanced forward from centre-back and slotted Milner through. James Milner swivelled around and shot towards goal which the keeper dealt with easily.

There was a double scare for the Tigers very late on. Firstly Joel Sutton broke through unnoticed by the Tiger backline. The Brid striker, who scored a hat-trick against the Tigers in a midweek cup tie a few weeks back, fired his shot against the frame of goal. Then in injury time, Bridlington top scorer Jake Day ran though on goal and dinked the ball over Fielding and in to the net. Alas for the forward upon celebration, the linesman had his flag up to deny ‘the Seasiders’ a fourth.

The fulltime whistle then went sending the Tigers faithful into disappointment after a solid hour of good play. The young Tigers didn’t discredit themselves though but the experience Brid had on the bench proved too much. Plenty of positives to take back to Sandy Lane.

Next up for the Tigers is another away trip, this time to Athersley Rec on Saturday (17th March) 3pm kick-off.

STAR MAN: Alex Boyd
As mentioned in past weeks, young centre half Alex Boyd has an immense future in the colours of Amber and Black. Today he showed his technical side of his defensive game by producing last-ditch, cool-headed challenges when Bridlington broke through the backline. He also won most battles in the air and provided excellent distribution. A star for the future for sure.

By Devon Louis Cash.

Attendance: 130

Goals: Overton (28), Bradshaw (35), Brown (67), Adams (72)

Line-up: Fielding, Lyons (Baird), Sutton, Boyd (Mlynarski), Gardner, Bownes, Overton, Holden, Husbands, Barnett, Milner

Unused subs: Robertson, Smith, Diggles

Bookings: Barnett (42)