Liversedge vs Worksop Town FC

August 21, 2018
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Tremendous Tigers Turnover Table Toppers with a Jordan Treble

Liversedge troubled the Tigers with set-pieces however, they took the lead just before half-time thanks to a defensive error which allowed Mitch Hamilton to score. Worksop came out stronger in the second half as Matt Sykes levelled the contest six minutes after the restart. The Tigers won the tie thanks to a superb Kyle Jordan hat-trick which stunned the host’s.

Liversedge stood top of the table after winning their opening three league fixtures against Athersley Recreation, Garforth Town and Knaresborough Town, scoring 10 goals in the process. Joe Walton was the Sedge’s biggest goal threat as he had found the back of the net seven times this season, including a brace in their 5-2 win over Padium in the FA Cup.

Worksop Town were coming into this game on the back of a professional performance in their 0-1 victory at Eccleshill United.

Liversedge started the brighterm. Mitch Hamilton dinked the ball over the top of the Worksop Town backline for Joe Walton to run onto. Walton hit a fierce effort on the half volley but the angle was too tight and the ball flashed high across the face of goal and wide.

Five minutes later, Joe Walton received the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the box. Walton took a touch before he sharply turned and dragged his shot wide of the near post.

Worksop’s first chance of the game came fifteen minutes in. Max Pemberton’s long throw was headed out to the edge of the box by Tom Jackson where Michael Trench hit it back into the penalty area. Matt Reay swivelled his marker perfectly but he failed to make amends as he volleyed over the bar and into the stand.

Moments later, Tomas Poole intercepted Brandon Kane’s pass and gave it to Craig Mitchell who cut inside before returning the favour and chipping Poole through on goal. Poole accelerated towards the net but Marc Lumb managed to track back and make a vital tackle to deny the tricky winger.

Jamie Price then used his experience and quick thinking to win a free-kick on halfway and also stop a potential Liversedge attack. Price floated the ball into the area where Craig Mitchell flicked it onto Matt Sykes whose volley flashed across the face of goal and just inches wide of the post.

David Reay then made a smart save to deny Liversedge the opener. Brad Davies swung a menacing ball into the middle which was redirected towards goal by Tom Brook but Reay managed to claw the attempt away to safety.

On the half hour mark, Sam Alkroyd’s whipped free-kick was powered across goal by the towering figured of Tom Jackson but the chance whiskers wide of the far post.

Sedge then struck the woodwork. Joe Walton nodded a pump upfield towards the back stick where Brandon Kane saw his looping header bounces of the top of the bar and bounce out for a goal-kick.

Liversedge took the lead on the stroke of half-time. A throw in from the right was accidentally flicked on by Matt Reay into the path of Mitch Hamilton who managed to bungle the ball past Dave Reay.

Six minutes after the restart, Tomas Poole equalised for the Tigers. Matt Sykes raced after a Woolley over the top through-ball. His efforts were boosted as Jackson misjudged the header allowing Sykes a clear run through until Harrison Davison Hale raced off his line but he could only deflect the ball into the path of Poole who was on hand to stroke the ball into an empty net.

Sedge almost got back in front only two minutes after the away side’s leveller. Joe Walton squared the ball across for Hamilton, who was under pressure by Trench, and the winger fizzed his shot just wide of the upright.

There was then a ten/fifteen minute stoppage when the referee pulled up holding his hamstring.

When play resumed, Worksop fully took control and showed Liversedge no mercy.

Dave Reay pumped the ball up top to his brother, Matt Reay, who chested the ball down to Sykes who set himself for the volley which went over the bar.

Worksop Town got their noses in front with seven minutes of normal time remaining. Matt Sykes switched the ball to the right flank with the outside of his boot. Mark Simpson picked up the ball, turned in and out to get away from Lumb, and then threaded the ball into the middle for substitute Kyle Jordan whose first touch wrong footed Tom Brook before taking the ball past Tom Jackson and slamming it past the keeper.

Three minutes later, Jordan bagged his brace. Jamie Price’s overhit cross was a perfect ball for Kyle as the forward the struck it on the half volley which rifled into the roof of the net.

Kyle then completed his nine minute hat-trick in the second minute of injury time. Trench’s cross from the left fell to Jordan on the edge of the box. The striker, who was clearly high on confidence, used his first touch to set himself up for the volley in which he dispatched with pace and accuracy into the bottom corner.

Jordan Windass broke through on goal but Michael Trench scampered back to make a last ditch tackle to deny the winger. The ball was subsequently cleared and the referee blew for full-time.

The Tigers next face Carlton Town in the next round of the FA Cup on Sunday, 26th August with a 3pm kick-off.

Attendance: 204

Goals: Hamilton (42’); Poole (51’), Jordan (83’, 86’, 90+2’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Jamie Price, Michael Trench, Steve Woolley (Steve Wankiewicz), Matt Reay, Max Pemberton, Danny Patterson, Ross Goodwin, Craig Mitchell (Kyle Jordan), Tomas Poole (Mark Simpson), Matt Sykes

Unused Subs: Connor Brunt, Liam Royles