Worksop Town FC vs Grimsby Borough

September 1, 2018
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Tigers edge Borough in Vase encounter

The Tigers got off to a flying start when Matt Sykes volleyed Worksop into the lead. They were also quick off the mark in the second half as Steve Woolley poked his shot over the keeper to double the advantage. Adam Drury pulled a goal back for the visitors but the Tigers held their own to claim a place in the next round.

Today’s visitors, Grimsby Borough are unbeaten so far into this campaign, where they currently occupy fifth position. Last season Borough narrowly missed out on promotion as they finished third in the table before they lost in the play-off final, 2-3, to Eccleshill United.

The star man for Grimsby Borough is Marc Cooper. With five goals to his name this season, Tigers Fans will know the prolific striker from his time with Cleethorpes Town as he fired the Owls to the Evo-Stik as he finished top scorer in 2017.

The away side advanced into the next round of the FA Cup as they beat Long Eaton United in their previous game thanks to a goal from the prominent figure of Dan Trott at the Bradley.

The Tigers, who are also unbeaten, come into this game high in confidence as they beat Evo-Stik outfit Carlton Town 2-1 at Sandy Lane on Sunday.

The Tigers took the lead in the third minute. Kyle Jordan slipped Mark Simpson through on goal but his low driven shot was saved by the feet of Scott Drury. The ball came out to the edge of the area where Matt Sykes slammed home the opener.

Borough then had two chances to equalise. Firstly, David Reay got down quickly to keep out Adam Drury’s cross which was diverted towards goal accidentally by the knee of Pemberton.

Moments later, Josh Morrell cut in from the left but flashed his shot across goal and wide.

There was a long stoppage in play when Jacob Norburn went down in a heap clutching his face after a collision with Goodwin.

Twenty-five minutes in, a Max Pemberton long throw was glanced just wide by Ross Goodwin via a vital deflection from Sunter. The corner was headed out to Matt Sykes who saw his thunderous volley blocked by Venney.

On the half hour mark, a mix up between the two Reays allowed Dan Trott to have an attempt on goal which he squandered wide of the far post.

Mark Simpson then saw his header, from a pin-point Liam Royles cross, nestle into the wrong side of the netting.

Sykes was enjoying a lot of freedom on the left hand side. He was slotted through by Royles but he saw his shot drift across the face of goal and wide.

Mark Simpson should have added to the Tigers’ lead when Steve Woolley threaded him through on goal but the number nine opted to try and squeeze it to Jordan instead of shooting and Josh Sunter cleared the ball behind.

On the stroke of half-time, the Tigers could of extended their lead. Mark Simpson was slotted down the right flank by Woolley. Simpson drove the ball towards the back stick, where Kyle Jordan would have had a certain tap in, but Scott Drury stuck out a foot which sent the ball into the air where Goodwin tried to nod into the net however, he misjudged his jump and was under it which made the effort tame and allowed Drury to get up and pat away from goal.

Worksop Town doubled their lead five minutes after the restart. Matt Sykes’ cross towards the back stick was magically brought down by Steve Woolley who’s fantastic first touch set him up to poke it past the keeper into the roof of the net.

Borough pulled a goal back just before the hour stage of the game. Josh Venney sent Adam Drury down the left. The winger took a touch before firing past an out-rushing David Reay.

Grimsby were pushing for an equaliser. Dan Trott latched onto a Marc Cooper flick on but Brad Wilson produced a fantastic slide tackle as Trott was about to pull the trigger. The visitors then had three shots bravely blocked by the Tigers from the corner before it was cleared.

Minutes later, Matt Sykes saw his curling free-kick tipped wide of the upright by the keeper. Matt Reay headed over from the following corner taken by Steve Woolley.

Grimsby were piling on the pressure going into the last fifteen minutes of the game. Marc Cooper swivelled past his man but he saw his fierce strike blocked by Max Pemberton.

Scott Drury made an excellent save with three minutes to go. Craig Mitchell dispatched a fine volley on the turn but the Borough number one reacted sharply to parry away to safety.

The visitors went close in injury time. Everyone was up for the Grimsby corner, including the keeper. Lovett’s set-piece came out to Jack Debnam who fizzed his shot just inches over the bar.

The Tigers held the ball for the remaining minutes to go through to the next round of the FA Vase.

The Tigers next travel to Northern Premier League Nantwich Town as they look to defy the odds and progress into the next rounding the FA Cup.

Attendance: 374

Goals: Sykes (3’), Woolley (50’); A. Drury (57’)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Brad Wilson, Liam Royles, Steve Woolley, Matt Reay Max Pemberton, Danny Patterson, Ross Goodwin (Jamie Price), Mark Simpson (Craig Mitchell), Kyle Jordan (Tomas Poole), Matt Sykes

Unused Subs: Connor Brunt, Michael Trench