Worksop Town FC vs Handsworth FC

September 22, 2018
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

A typically fiesty Sandy Lane derby ended with Handsworth nicking all three points at the death.

The game looked to be heading for what would of been a fair draw but for substitute Alex Rippon coming on to volley in the winner with the last kick of the game.

It was Worksop who took the early lead after eight minutes. Connor Brunt nicked the ball out wide and ran towards goal, the striker had enough space and time to calmly square a cross for Craig Mitchell to tap in from a matter of yards.

The goal gave the home side a clear boost and they carried on pressing high and trying to stretch Handsworth using a wing-back system.

Parras found their equaliser though just ten minutes later. A high hopeful cross into the box wasn’t cleared sufficiently and Oscar Radford ran onto the loose ball on the edge of the box to rattle in a volley at the near post.

Four minutes after that the inevitable nastiness this fixture provides was ramped up a gear, Connor Brunt was out wide and jumped for a header only for captain Radford to win the duel but subsequently shove the striker into the hoardings banging his head. The reaction came and tackles were then flying in from all angles.

On the 39th minute Handsworth’s summer signing Oliver Fearon was the man to give them the lead. The striker took off towards goal and cut inside just outside the area unleashing a fierce drive to Dave Reays near post which nestled into the corner.

The half-time whistle then blew with Worksop having some work to do to get back into this one in the second half.

Early in the second half it was Handsworth that nearly extended their lead, that man Fearon again with a downward header at the back post left Reay needing to make a smart save low to his right.

On the 56th minute the Tigers found their leveller, Steve Woolley stood over a free kick and drifted in an inviting cross which saw Matt Reay get on the end of it to nod home past Phil Barnes.

Minutes later Worksop nearly took the initiative having an header cleared off the line from a corner and then Craig Mitchell having a good chance in the box but blazing his volley high over the bar.

Denton soon made all of his substitutions with Poole and Jordan coming on along with debutant Laurie Wilson.

Wilson was straight into the action by earning a yellow card after a hefty challenge from behind and exchanging verbals with his victim.

Then came the winner with the last action of the day, a corner kick was cleared to the edge of the box where substitute Alex Rippon was waiting to volley his effort goalwards with the ball seeming to fly under Dave Reay in goal.

That was all the action in this one and the Tigers could consider themselves unlucky not to earn a point, they now go into a home game with Bridlington on Wednesday night hoping to get back on track.

LINE-UP: Reay, Price (C), Reay, Taylor, Pemberton, Royles, Woolley, Patterson, Goodwin (L. Wilson) Brunt (Poole) Mitchell (Jordan) 

SUBS NOT USED: H. Wilson, Atherton

GOALS: Mitchell (8), Reay (56)

Radford (18), Fearon (39), Rippon (90)

ATT: 441