Bridlington Town vs Worksop Town FC

December 22, 2018
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

A brilliant second-half display from Bridlington Town ensure all three points remain at the seaside.

A hat-trick from Matthew Broadley took the game away from Worksop. Broadley opened proceedings halfway through the first-half before a wonder goal from Matty Sykes, 40 yards out, got the Tigers back on level terms.

The second half was a poor showing from Worksop as Broadley came in with two more goals to take the final result to 3-1.

The game started with a high tempo from both sides. Despite neither team creating a clear goal scoring opportunity, both Worksop and Bridlington looked dangerous on the attack.

Worksop dominated the majority of the first third of the game until the Seasiders took the lead in the twenty-seventh minute. A great free-kick was parried out by Worksop goalkeeper Dave Reay, but he only palmed the ball into the path of Broadley who tapped home the rebound.

Our hosts’ opening goal spurred the team to try and get that crucial second goal, after several scares deep in the Worksop box.

Goalscorer Broadley was causing havoc down the left-hand side. Worksop midfielder Danny Patterson covered the out of position Deegan Atherton, however, Patterson couldn’t stop the on-rushing Broadley, who cut inside the Worksop box and saw his fierce strike on goal palmed away by Reay.

Worksop almost got back on level terms. Striker Steve McDonnell drew a free-kick in a dangerous area for the Tigers. Sykes whipped a beautiful cross into the back post, where Taylor saw his looping header begin to sneak under the bar, but the Bridlington keeper Tom Jackson managed to hold it on the line.

Worksop didn’t deserve to go into half-time behind and a minute before the interval, the Tigers got themselves back into the game. Seasiders’ goalkeeper Jackson was at fault as he cleared the ball into the path of Sykes; the striker was 40 yards out and, face with an open goal, unleashed a curling effort which dipped under the bar to bring the scoreline to one apiece.

Bridlington regained the lead in the 54th minute. Broadley got his second goal of the game as the Tigers just couldn’t clear out their lines. A Worksop header fell to the winger who, despite scuffing his effort, managed to get it past ‘keeper Reay to put the Seasiders back in front.

Our hosts then put some daylight between the sides two minutes later. Broadley wrong-footed Atherton down their left-hand side. The winger ran through on goal, beating Reay with a clever bit of skill, and finished the move off by tapping the ball into an empty net.

Worksop tried to make the closing stages interesting but the Tigers couldn’t find that all-important goal.

Substitute Craig Mitchell was fed the ball to his feet. The striker’s brilliant strength shrugged off the Bridlington defender, but his fierce effort on goal was matched with a terrific save.

Worksop midfielder Steven Woolley almost got a goal back from his free-kick. His attempt looped towards goal which made Jackson scramble over his line to palm the ball away for a corner.

Bridlington cleared the corner and held out for the remaining minutes to gain a vital three points.

The Tigers will look to dust themselves off and get back on track next Saturday against Liversedge FC.

Attendance: 228
Goals: Broadley (27, 54, 56); Sykes (44)

Line-up: Reay, Atherton (Royles), Pemberton, Taylor, Wankiewicz, Price (C), Woolley, Patterson, Sykes, Brunt (Robinson), McDonnell (Mitchell).
Unused subs: Gamble.