Hemsworth MW vs Worksop Town FC

March 19, 2019
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Worksop Town go six points clear at the top with a solid performance against Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Town travelled to Wakefield Road in search of a record-breaking eleventh successive league win. They got a the ball rolling with a 12th minute bullet header from Matt Reay. Matt Sykes then doubled their lead from the spot before Seon Ripley halved the deficit moments later to set up a nervy finish.

The first ten minutes were very even with both sides enjoying their fair share of possession.

The first chance of the game fell to forward Calum Ward who saw a fierce volley on the turn flash agonisingly wide of the target.

The Tigers took the lead moments later. A delightful corner from Steve Woolley met the head of centre-half Matt Reay, who steered home a powerful header which flew past the ‘keeper and into the back of the Hemsworth net.

Worksop then started to take the game by the scruff of the neck in search of their second. They almost got it shortly after in the 16th minute. A long throw from Lee Hill was flicked on by Reay and poked towards goal by McDonnell, but the ‘keeper reacted quickly to pat the effort away from the line before grasping it at the second attempt.

Hemsworth had their first major opportunity from distance as Sam Jones executed a devastating half-volley from 30 yards, which was superbly matched with an excellent tip around the post from David Reay.

The hosts were nearly on level terms after the half-hour mark. David Reay was the hero as he palmed over Andrew Marsh’s bullet header from close range.

That was all for an evenly-matched first 45 from which the Tigers had a single goal lead.

Worksop Town came running out of the traps after the break and should have extended their lead. Nash Connelly took the ball past Matt Reay, however his brother Dave was alert to the threat and rushed out to clear the ball. This clearance fell perfectly for Steve McDonnell whose first touch set him free down the left flank. McDonnell swiftly cut inside, but saw his curling effort from an acute angle bend just wide of the far post.

Worksop then got their deserved second just after the hour mark. Matt Sykes quickly burst into the area in between two opponents where one backed off, but the other, Jones, thwarted the forward’s run by dragging him to the floor, leaving the man in the middle an easy decision as he pointed to the spot. Sykes dusted himself down to step up and smash in his 27th goal of the campaign.

Celebrations were brought to an end as four minutes later, Seon Ripley was on hand to poke Connelly’s pinpoint cross into the bottom corner.

In the final ten minutes, Worksop should have put the game to bed. Some great work from Craig Mitchell allowed the forward to twist and turn before getting a shot off which was saved down low by Greaves. The Wells’ number one could only parry the ball into the path of Matt Sykes, who looked certain to bag his brace until Steven Jeff bravely threw himself in front of the shot to deflect the ball wide.

Ross Goodwin then set up another chance in the dying moments. The substitute threaded the ball through to Mitchell, who subsequently flicked the ball onto Sykes, whose low driven effort was held by Greaves.

The full-time whistle sounded to confirm that all three points were coming back to Sandy Lane. It also set a new club record of eleven successive league wins.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Hill, Woolley (Pemberton), Wankiewicz, M. Reay, Patterson (C), Ward (Mitchell), Sykes, McDonnell, Karkach (Goodwin).

Unused subs: Pemberton, Jordan.

Goals: M.Reay (12’), Sykes (pen 64’); Ripley (68’)

Attendance: 253