Worksop Town FC vs Knaresborough Town

February 23, 2019
Score: 4 - 1

Match Report

Worksop outshine Knaresborough at Sandy Lane.

The Tigers’ performance matched the glorious weather at Sandy Lane this afternoon. A 4-1 victory for Worksop against Knaresborough Town settled the game, the Tigers goals coming from Matthew Sykes, Steve McDonnell, Craig Mitchell and new signing Lynton Karkach, before a late reply in the dying minutes from Knaresborough sub Jack Carr.

The game started evenly-balanced as both sides struggled to retain possession in the opening ten minutes.

The first chance of the game for the Tigers came in the 13th minute. A fantastic ball into the Knaresborough box resulting in a snap-shot from Steve Woolley which was blocked six yards out; the ball then fell to striker Craig Mitchell who rifled a shot that smashed against the visitors’ cross bar.

Worksop took control of the game in the 24th minute courtesy of Matt Sykes. A Max Pemberton throw into the Knaresborough box was cleared to the Worksop talisman who rifled a beautiful volley into the back of the net.

Worksop doubled the advantage five minutes before the interval. Sykes made a great move down the left-hand side and played an excellent ball inside to Mitchell on the edge of the Knaresborough box; Mitchell squared the ball to McDonnell who coolly slotted the ball under ‘keeper Jack Rushworth.

The half-time whistle approached with the Tigers in cruise control, and they almost put the game to bed with what would have been a beautiful goal from full-back Deegan Atherton. A Worksop attack was cleared to the Under-19s product, whose looping effort had just too much height to find the target.

Our visitors almost got back into the game in the early stages of the second half. A fantastic move down the left-hand side from the Borough found striker Brad Walker, whose volley was going into the top corner before keeper Dave Reay rose up like a salmon to palm the ball over the crossbar.

Following a spell of pressure from Knaresborough, the Tigers again came close to adding a third through a goalmouth scramble in the Knaresborough box, as a great delivery from Max Pemberton created havoc for the Borough defence. Mitchell’s header looked to be creeping into the bottom right-hand corner but the effort was cleared away from danger.

It was game, set and match as the Tigers got their third of the afternoon on 77 minutes. That man Mitchell ran down a loose ball, beating the Knaresborough defender to it, before bearing down on goal to calmly finish the move past Rushworth, sending the Tigers into dreamland.

New signing Lynton Karkach then got his first goal for the club after a lovely Connor Brunt ball through to the pacey striker. His first touch was second-to-none and he matched that with a beautiful strike that rippled into the back of the Knaresborough net.

Our visitors got themselves a consolation goal deep into injury time. A ball was pumped into the Worksop box, which pin-balled several yards out and sub Carr was the first to pounce, his effort deflecting off Woolley and into the Worksop goal.

There was drama in the last few seconds of the game, with confusion for ‘keeper Reay who conceded an indirect free kick for a back-pass in the Worksop box. The resulting set-piece rebounded off the Tigers’ post and was scooped away to safety.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Hill, Woolley, M. Reay, Pemberton, Patterson (C) (Jones), Goodwin, Sykes (Karkach), Mitchell, McDonnell (Brunt)

Unused subs: Jordan, Ward

Goals: Sykes (24), McDonnell (39), Mitchell (77), Karkach (86); Carr (90)

Attendance: 416

By Luke Atherton