Worksop Town FC vs Staveley Miners Welfare

March 30, 2019
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

The Tigers make it 15 wins in a row.

Worksop Town beat Staveley Miners Welfare 2-1 in a tight encounter at Sandy Lane. First-half goals from Craig Mitchell and Matthew Sykes were enough to secure the important three points as we enter the business end of the season. Sub Kurtis Morley got the Trojans back into the game to set up a nervy finish.

The visitors started the game on the front foot, with a nice piece of play down the right. Ex-Tiger Tomas Poole snatched at the loose ball, and his effort towards goal couldn’t find the target.

After a Worksop corner, the Trojans broke away on the counter-attack and should have opened the scoring. Midfielder Robson Dolan squandered his one-on-one with goalkeeper Dave Reay, putting his effort on goal  over the bar.

A goal then came out of nowhere for Worksop; a great move down the left between Steve Woolley and Lee Hill drew a foul, and a terrific delivery from Woolley’s resultant free-kick met the head of Mitchell, whose powerful header was too much for the visitors’ goalkeeper Myles Wright.

Despite the Tigers not producing the performance we know they can produce, Worksop found themselves 2-0 to the good five minutes later. And what a goal it was – another pumped ball into the Staveley box was cleared to the unmarked Sykes on the edge of the area, where the winger took a step back and volleyed a sweet strike into the top right-hand of the goal.

Five minutes before the interval and the game should have been put to bed. A great delivery into the Trojans area from winger Lynton Karkach caused havoc for their defence. Wright came out to punch the ball away from danger, but instead he was out of position and striker Kyle Jordan couldn’t execute the effort on goal.

Both sides came out for the second half with all guns blazing. The tempo picked from the kick-off, however neither team could convert their chances into goals.

Despite the fast tempo at the start of the half, the game slowed down halfway through, falling into Worksop’s hands as they controlled the majority of the possession.

The visitors got their just rewards in the 76th minute, getting a crucial goal to get back into the game. A great delivery into the Tigers box found sub Morley, who flicked the ball towards the bottom right-hand of the goal, which was too much for Worksop ‘keeper Reay to make a save.

After the goal the visitors started to pile on the pressure and had strong appeals for an indirect free-kick for a back-pass. The Trojans charged forward down the right where winger Michael Burke put in a great delivery; centre-back Matt Reay seemed to play the ball back to Dave Reay, who collected the ball with his hands, but the man in authority waved away the protests.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Hill, Woolley, M. Reay, Wankiewicz, Patterson (C), Mitchell, Sykes (Ward), Jordan (Brunt), Karkach (Goodwin)

Unused subs: Pemberton, Trench

Goals: Mitchell (27), Sykes (32); Morley (76)

Attendance: 578