Farsley AFC vs Worksop Town FC

January 29, 2013
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Worksop Town crashed out of the Doodson Cup losing 2-1 to Evo-Stik Division 1 North side Farsley FC at a wet windswept Throstle Nest.


Goals from Brice Tiani and Adam Priestley secured victory for the Villagers; Ash Burbeary scoring for the Tigers


The Tigers had an early chance to take the lead as Burbeary, twice, and Tom Denton had shots blocked before the ball was cleared away to safety.


At the other Gareth Grant saw his shot comfortably saved by Paul Bastock, before Owen Davies had a shot deflected for a corner.


Nathan Modest was next to show as he collected Denton’s flick on, however, Modest took too long to get his shot away allowing his marker time to get back and dispossess him of the ball.


On the half hour mark the home side should have taken the lead when Steve Mallory’s free kick to the far post found former Tiger, Simeon Bambrook unmarked 6 yards out but he could only divert his header wide of the post.


Farsley continued to press with Tiani setting up Ryan Harrison whose shot was turned away for a corner by Bastock; with the resulting corner hitting the top of the crossbar.


On 40 minutes Farsley deservedly took the lead when Tiani drilled an excellent shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards out giving Bastock no chance.


Clark made a change early in the second half bringing on Jamie Jackson in place of Modest.


As the Tigers started to look more lively Ryan Clarke’s excellent cross field pass found Lee Potts who went past his marker before shooting just over. Then Jackson cut inside forcing a good save from Ben Higginson in the home goal.


However, on 66 minutes the Tigers task was made harder when Grant’s cross into the 6 yard box was not dealt with by Bastock and Miller allowing Priestley to nip in and score into the empty net to make it 2-0.


Farsley had chances to make it 3-0 as Grant could not get his shot away when well placed, and then Harrison shot straight at Bastock.


On 70 minutes the Tigers pulled a goal back as Telling’s excellent through ball found Burbeary in space who clipped the ball over the on rushing Higginson.


Worksop continued to press for an equaliser, Jackson having a shot deflected over for a corner after being set up by Burbeary. Then Burbeary had a 25-yard free kick comfortably saved by Higginson.


At the other end Grant got the better of Miller before his cross was headed out for a corner, from which Priestley put a header wide.


As Farsley continued to press Grant once again beat Miller before Bastock came out to smother his shot.


Worksop’s final chance to grab an equaliser fell to Burbeary who put an effort just over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.


As the game reached 90 minutes, substitute Dave Stead should have made it 3-1 when he was put through by Grant, but his weak effort was easily saved by Bastock.


Farsley FC

Ben Higginson, Matt Dempsey (c), Ryan Serrant, Owen Davies (Sam Robinson 87), Simeon Bambrook, Rob Etherington, Adam Priestley (Dave Stead 82), Brice Tiani, Steve Mallory, Gareth Grant, Ryan Harrison


Unused subs: Tom Dugdale, James Wilson


Goals: Brice Tiani (40), Adam Priestley (66)


Worksop Town

Paul Bastock, Ryan Clarke, Ash Jackson, Matt Telling, Kern Miller, Adie Hawes, Ash Burbeary, Matt Young (c), Tom Denton, Nathan Modest, (Jamie Jackson 55), Lee Potts (Lee Beeson 72)


Unused subs: Khalid Alali, Lee Ridley, Adam Powell


Goal: Ash Burbeary (70)


MoM: Matt Young


Att. 97


Referee: Gary Chapman

Assistants: Daniel Bennett and Gareth Haycock