Staveley Miners Welfare vs Worksop Town FC

March 27, 2019
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Worksop Town progress into the final four.

Worksop Town edged a tight 2-1 victory away at Staveley Miners Welfare in the quarter-final of the NCEL League Cup.

A first-half strike from Kyle Jordan gave the Tigers the lead, before a Matthew Burke equaliser in the 76th minute made the tie look like it was heading for extra-time. That was until winger Lynton Karkach stole the win from under the Trojans’ noses as he volleyed home the winner.

Worksop started the game on the front foot. In-form winger Matthew Sykes led the early Worksop attacks; his effort on goal inside five minutes of play produced a great save from Staveley ‘keeper Myles Wright.

Staveley almost took an early lead despite the early pressure from Worksop. A set-piece from the hosts was pumped into the Tigers box. Trojans striker Adam Baskerville was the first to pounce on a loose ball; his effort slammed against the Worksop post and fortunately, full-back Deegan Atherton scooped the ball to safety.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure. Staveley winger Burke played a beautiful ball from the left into the Worksop box. Centre-forward Joe Pugh rose like a salmon and his header was creeping into the right hand corner; however, Worksop keeper Dave Reay manufactured a fantastic save to tip it wide.

Worksop Town took the lead in the 26th minute. A great ball through to Karkach allowed the skilful winger to pull the ball back to Jordan, who was placed in a perfect position just inside the Staveley box, and he hit a crisp shot which found the bottom left-hand corner of the Trojans goal.

Another great chance then went begging for the Tigers. Sykes received the ball halfway into the hosts’ half. The tricky winger bore down on goal and hit a lovely effort which was palmed away by Wright for a Tigers corner.

The second half started in the same fashion as the first, with Worksop setting the tempo early. A great move down the right from Karkach allowed the tricky forward to put a dangerous ball into the box. Substitute Steve Woolley struck a lovely strike from 20 yards that stung the palms of shot-stopper Wright who turned the ball over.

The momentum of the game dropped after the early stages of the second half, however Staveley started to show some fight and almost got back on level terms. The Trojans played another dangerous ball into the Tigers box and Baskerville hit a great effort on goal which got past Reay, but Steve Wankiewicz managed to get rid of the danger on the line.

The hosts got their just rewards after some constant pressure on the Worksop goal. Another dangerous cross pinballed around inside the Tigers box and Michael Burke was the first to react, heading the ball towards goal to equalise despite Michael Trench’s best efforts on the line.

Worksop then stole the tie against the run of play. Woolley slipped the ball down the right to Atherton, who whipped a lovely cross into the Trojans box. The ball was headed into the path of Karkach, stood on the edge of the box, and the winger hit a lovely half-volley which almost ripped through the roof of the net.

The Tigers held on for the final few moments to secure their place in the semi-final, where they will face Hemsworth Miners Welfare away.

Line-up: D. Reay, Atherton, Trench, Goodwin, M. Reay, Goodwin, M.Reay, Wankiewicz (C), Karkach (Jones), Pemberton, Brunt (Jordan), Sykes (Woolley)

Unused subs: Charlesworth, Townsend

Bookings: Brunt (59)

Goals: Burke (76); Jordan (26), Karkach (87)

Attendance: 454