Hemsworth MW vs Worksop Town FC

April 30, 2019
Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

Worksop Town progress into the final after beating Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Worksop Town beat 10-man Hemsworth Miners Welfare 2-0 in the NCEL League Cup semi-final. A first-half goal from Craig Mitchell was followed by a sending-off for violent conduct just before half-time. Matthew Sykes grabbed himself the goal that killed the tie halfway through the second half.

Hemsworth started the game on the front foot and almost got an early goal in the fifth minute. A great delivery from a Hemsworth corner found Jason Yates, whose header beat Worksop ‘keeper Ben Townsend; however, Max Pemberton was on the line to scoop the danger to safety. This came after the stand-in goalkeeper saved Sidney Santos’ low drive with his feet.

Worksop’s first chance came in the 10th minute. A ball over the Hemsworth defence from winger Sykes found the feet of Mitchell. His first touch set him up beautifully for the strike on the edge of the box but the forward couldn’t execute his shot into a goal.

A fantastic chance went begging for the hosts. Midfielder Steve Woolley lost possession deep inside the Worksop half to midfielder Yates who collected the ball 25 yards out, and the striker smashed a great effort that shook the Worksop post with the ball bouncing away from danger.

The Tigers then took a 22nd minute lead. Harry Viggars miscued a pass back to the goalkeeper, from which Steve McDonnell took the pass in his stride. He baited the ‘keeper off his line before cutting the ball back to Mitchell who struck home the gift.

The Nottinghamshire side should have doubled their lead in the 30th minute. A great move down the right found McDonnell who used his strength to turn and knock the ball past left-back Adam Wilson, finding himself five yards out. The angle was tight and McDonnell squared the ball, but it rolled across goal and out for a throw-in.

Tempers boiled over at Wakefield Road after a 50/50 between skipper Danny Patterson and Seon Ripley who both went up for the ball. Ripley went in hard and elbowed Patterson in front of the referee; Ripley was given his marching orders just before the half-time whistle.

Worksop came out of the traps quickly in the second half. A play down the left fell to Ross Goodwin, who hit a shot which looped into the air, but on its way down it ricocheted off the bar and the hosts cleared the danger.

Worksop doubled their lead with a spectacular effort. Winger Sykes collected the ball out wide on the left, then cut inside and smashed a fabulous strike that hit the inside of the Hemsworth post and flew over the line to give the Tigers some breathing room in the fixture.

Hemsworth should have got themselves back into the tie. After a good five minutes for the hosts, they carved out a great chance. A dangerous through-ball was put through to striker Santos, who curled an effort past Townsend which the post and out of play.

Nash Connelly then unleashed a devastating shot on goal which was matched by ‘keeper Townsend, who pulled off a fantastic save to deny the Yorkshire side a foothold back into the tie.

The Tigers stayed firm to win and go into the final against Liversedge FC, which will be held at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster, on Monday 13th May, with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Line-up: Townsend, Atherton, Trench, Woolley, Pemberton, Wankiewicz, Patterson (C), Goodwin (Brunt), Sykes (Smith), Mitchell, McDonnell (Jordan)

Unused subs: Jones, Gamble

Goals: Mitchell (22), Sykes (55)

Attendance: 299