Worksop Town FC vs Sheffield Wednesday

July 9, 2019
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

The Tigers hold the Owls to a 2-2 draw.

Worksop Town welcomed Sheffield Wednesday U23s to Sandy Lane in the first home friendly of the season. Lynton Karkach put the Tigers in the lead on the stroke of the break before Hughes and Hunt equalised for Wednesday. Striker Craig Mitchell levelled the game up late on to steal a draw.

The Owls had the first opportunity of the first-half as Brandy cut in from the left and whipped in a ball towards the middle where Preslav Borukov headed back across goal and wide. Borukov missed again two minutes later as he headed Stobbs’ delivery into the ground and over.

A quarter into the game, the Wednesday number 8 (Trialist) had a fantastic opportunity from twenty yards, but saw his drive whistle just wide of the target.

The Tigers had their first chance of the matches on nineteen minutes as Leon Mettam fired over from a Templeton cut-back.

Several minutes later, the Tigers won a free-kick after Atherton’s cross struck the arm of Kirby. Woolley curled the ball towards the back-stick where Karkach beat the defender, but headed over the bar.

Hugo Warhurst then made a crucial double save to keep the scores level. Firstly, Charles Hagan burst into the area and attempted to slide the ball under the ’keeper however, Warhurst got down quickly to save. The ball was partially cleared out to the left where L’Varn Brandy cut in onto his right and saw his stinging effort palmed wide by Hugo.

On the stroke of half-time, Worksop Town went ahead thanks to Lynton Karkach. Steve Woolley’s cross towards the penalty-spot was punched away by the goalkeeper, but only into the path of Karkach who beat Kirby to the ball and the winger fizzed home his third goal in two games.

The Tigers made eight substitutions at the break, where as the Owls changed ten.

The Owls came out of the blocks firing in the opening stages to the second period and after four minutes, they were on level terms. Liam Waldock played a lovely through-ball into the path of an unmarked Ben Hughes who finished off his chance by firing over David Reay and in off the bar.

On the hour mark, Wednesday almost went ahead when Ben Hughes’ cross met the head of Joe West whose looping header was magnificently tipped onto the crossbar by Reay.

As we entered the last quarter, Wednesday put themselves ahead thanks to a magnificently struck Alex Hunt free-kick which flew over the wall and into the top corner leaving Reay rooted to the spot.

Moments later, Fraser Preston struck from range, however his rifled effort rolled just wide of Reay’s left-hand post.

On 84 minutes, Wednesday should have wrapped up the win when Ben Hughes skipped past Reay in the box, but took the ball too far wide which allowed the shot-stopper to recover and palm wide.

Wednesday were left to rue that chance as two minutes later, Worksop were level. A mix up at the back allowed forward Craig Mitchell to tap the ball beyond Render from which he avoided the challenge and slid the ball into an empty goal.

Wednesday could have snatched a late winner as a trialist – number 18 – cut into the area before shooting wide of the near post.

The referee blew for full-time moments later at honours even.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 452

Goals: Karkach (43’), Mitchell (86’); Hughes (49’), Hunt (74’)

Worksop Town: Hugo Warhurst (David Reay), Deegan Atherton (Josh Hobson), Niall Smith (Michael Trench), Steve Woolley (C), Steve Wankiewicz (Matt Reay), Max Pemberton, Jed Phillips (Steve McDonnell), Jack Brownell (Kyle Jordan) Leon Mettam (Andrew Gascoigne), Lynton Karkach (Matt Sykes), Matt Templeton (Craig Mitchell)