Loughborough Dynamo vs Worksop Town FC

August 17, 2019
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Worksop Town began life back in the NPL with a 3-2 defeat to Loughborough Dynamo.

They got off to a great start as marksman Leon Mettam put Worksop ahead; however, celebrations were thwarted as within a minute, Curtis Burrows levelled the tie. Burrows then put Dynamo ahead from the penalty spot before Will Norcross added a third on the stroke of half-time.

Andrew Gascoigne netted in the second period, however, Worksop couldn’t find the leveller they so desperately wanted.

The Tigers went close after 12 minutes. Gascoigne did well in the middle in order to shift play onto the right, where Ben Rhodes floated the ball towards the back stick. Craig Mitchell rose highest, but headed straight into the side netting.

The Tigers opened the scoring on 17 minutes. Steve Woolley played Rhodes down the line and the right-back drilled the ball into the middle, where Mettam sharply turned his man and fired an effort past former Worksop ‘keeper Jason Alexander.

The celebrations were put to a halt though as the hosts drew level immediately from kick-off. Danny Gordon drilled the ball towards the edge of the box where Burrows had the time and space in order to pick out the bottom corner with power and precision.

Moments later, Corbi Brown went close as he looped Luke Thorogood’s cross onto the roof of goal.
Dynamo were awarded a penalty when Max Pemberton brought down Burrows. The forward dusted himself off and then thumped his spot-kick past David Reay.

On the half-hour mark, Carl Sibson forced a good stop from the Tigers number one as his powerful header was saved and held by Reay.

Woolley then switched play to the right where Mettam took the ball past Thorogood before rifling an effort just wide of the upright.

On the stroke of half-time, Loughborough made it 3-1. Norcross made his way from the right flank towards a central position where he calmly rolled the ball into the bottom corner.

The home side had two great chances to extend their lead.

Firstly, Burrows sliced a cross from wide left of the area towards goal where the ‘keeper managed to scamper back and tip the cross wide. Then Reay made a fingertip save to push a curling effort from Brown past the post.

Worksop drew closer to Dynamo as they netted five minutes after the restart. Gascoigne took aim from range and hit a fierce strike which smashed against the frame of goal and past the ‘keeper.

On the hour, Pemberton hit the bar as he steered Woolley’s header onto the bar and over.

A minute later, Gordon made a surging run from left-back, all the way into the area where he saw his snapshot parried into the air by Reay before Steve Wankiewicz headed behind.

Ten minutes later, Woolley weaved his way into the area before hitting a shot against the crossbar.

Matt Reay then went close with three minutes to go as he saw his forceful header cleared off the line by Charlie Young.

As Worksop were pressing for the equaliser, Dynamo almost confirmed the win. Bradley Fornam-Tomlinson raced forward on the counter where the forward rounded the ‘keeper before poorly shooting over.

Worksop kept pushing, but couldn’t find the goal they wanted.

Next up for the Tigers are Wisbech Town who travel to Sandy Lane on Wednesday night after a 2-0 defeat.

Attendance: 186

Goals: Burrows (18’, 22’), Norcross (44’); Mettam (17’), Gascoigne (50’)
Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes, Niall Smith (Connor Brunt), Steve Woolley (C), Steve Wankiewicz, Matthew Reay, Max Pemberton, Andrew Gascoigne, Leon Mettam, Craig Mitchell (Matthew Templeton), Jed Phillips (Lynton Karkach)
Unused Subs: Deegan Atherton, Kyle Jordan
By Devon Cash