Worksop Town FC vs Kidsgrove Athletic

August 31, 2019
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Worksop Town came into the game against Kidsgrove Athletic looking for their second win in succession after beating Frickley Athletic 2-1 on bank holiday Monday.

Craig Mitchell had the first chance of the game for the Tigers on four minutes. His effort from inside the area was blocked and the ball went out for a corner. The resulting set-piece, unfortunately, came to nothing for Worksop as Kidsgrove cleared.

Kidsgrove took the lead on eight minutes through striker Kingsley Adu Gyamfi. A lovely team move was finished off very nicely by Gyamfi, who smashed the ball into the top corner giving David Reay in the Worksop goal no chance of making the save.

After the goal, Worksop started to just get on top of Kidsgrove, but there was no real clear-cut chances for either side. The ball was stuck in the middle of the park up until the 24th minute.

Max Pemberton fired a shot towards goal, but once again Richard Duffy was on hand to get in the way and the ball went out for another unsuccessful Worksop corner.

Kidsgrove were awarded a free-kick by referee Lewis Morgan. Charlie Scott had the responsibility of taking the kick, but blazed it miles over the crossbar.

The closest Worksop came to an equaliser was seven minutes before half-time. Midfielder Andrew Gascoigne crashed a half-volley from outside the box which hit the post and bounced back into the area before being booted away from danger.

Lewis Morgan then blew his whistle for half-time and Kidsgrove went into the dressing room a goal up but Worksop were looking the more likely to score.

Into the second-half and Craig Mitchell had a golden opportunity of scoring for the Tigers. A cross was whipped in from the right by Patterson which found Mitchell unmarked, but his header went wide of the goal.

New signing Jermaine Palmer entered the fray 57 minutes in and immediately tried his luck on goal. His dipping effort was close, but Harrison in the Kidsgrove goal made no mistake and caught the ball with ease.

Five minutes later Palmer was involved again, this time he was trying to turn provider by flicking the ball onto Mitchell, but the forward’s shot went over the bar.

With 18 minutes of the match remaining, a corner was sent into the area and found Gascoigne who passed to Lynton Karkach who had an effort that looked goal-bound until it was blocked by Sam Hall.

The final chance of the game fell to substitute Shaun Rhodes. With Worksop pushing up the pitch for an equaliser, Rhodes raced clear and only had Reay to beat, but his left footed shot went wide.

The referee blew his whistle and condemned the Tigers to a defeat in our final game in August despite the effort of the players.

We now move on to Carlton Town away on Saturday 7th September at the Bill Stokeld Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Attendance: 332
Goals: Kingsley Adu Gyamfi (8’).
Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes, Niall Smith, Steve Woolley (C), Matthew Reay, Steve Wankiewicz (Daniel Patterson), Max Pemberton, Andrew Gascoigne, Leon Mettam (Jermaine Palmer), Craig Mitchell (Kyle Jordan), Lynton Karkach.
Unused subs: Deegan Atherton, Connor Brunt.

By Mitchell Radford.