Carlton Town vs Worksop Town FC

September 7, 2019
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

The Tigers break the Millers’ winning start with an impressive performance.

Worksop Town put last week’s defeat behind them as they picked up all three points against a Carlton Town side who had started the campaign with four wins from four.

Worksop would have been aware of the attacking prowess that Carlton possessed and the home side showed that in the opening stages. Matthew Reay misjudged a ball over the top and headed it into the path of Tyler Blake, who took the ball in his stride but saw two attempts thwarted by the commitment of Ben Rhodes.

Worksop then countered from that chance and almost opened the scoring. Steve Woolley threaded the ball through to Max Pemberton, who played it across the area to Craig Mitchell, but he saw his effort go high and wide due to the ball hitting a bobble as he pulled the trigger.

The Tigers opened the scoring on twelve minutes. Following a clearance, Danny Patterson looped the ball towards the right-hand side of the area where Lynton Karkach hooked the ball towards the back stick for Niall Smith, who had made the run, and he headed the ball over the ‘keeper and into the back of the net.

Things got even better for the visitors as two minutes later, Mitchell doubled their advantage. Smith made a terrific run down the left before whipping the ball across the six-yard area where Pemberton narrowly missed the ball on the slide; however Mitchell lapped up the goods and fired into the bottom corner.

A quarter into the game, Oliver Clark found Aaron Okopu on his own inside the area, however the forward snatched at his effort and fired poorly wide despite the time and space available.

Okopu made amends for his miss as five minutes later, the strong forward won a spot-kick for the Millers when he enticed a foul from Matt Reay on the byline. Captain Tom Maddison stepped up and sent Dave Reay the opposite way to halve the deficit.

On the half-hour mark, Rhodes made a crucial interception as he slid in when Okopu struck at goal which caused the ball to loop over Reay and, thankfully, onto the roof of goal.

Then Patterson, who orchestrated play from the centre, switched the ball towards the right where Karkach toyed with his marker before checking back and laying the ball off to Rhodes, who swung the ball into the area. Pemberton contested the cross, but Martin Ball poked the ball towards the edge where Connor Brunt fizzed a volley wide.

On the stroke of half-time, Tyler Blake broke into the area where he cut inside the body of Matt Reay, but as he pulled the trigger, Steven Wankiewicz dived in and made a fantastic block.

Moments later, Worksop Town added a third. Pemberton won an aerial battle in midfield which opened up space for Connor Brunt to drive into. Brunt delayed his pass until Mitchell was in full stride, before laying it off to the forward who rolled home his second of the game.

The second half was fairly end-to-end, with the hosts just edging the possession stats.

Karkach kicked off the second period with a snapshot from 25 yards which whistled wide of the frame of goal.

Ten minutes after the restart, David Reay produced a magnificent save in order to keep Carlton at arm’s length. The ball pinballed in the area before being pulled back to Niall Davie, who rifled a sweet drive towards the bottom corner which was going in until the Tigers’ goalkeeper got down and tipped the effort wide.

Rhodes then showed excellent defending to, firstly, block an effort from a corner on the line, and then the right-back out-muscled Blake and ushered the ball in order for Reay to collect.

Wankiewicz, who played the majority of the game on a yellow card, then produced an excellent last-ditch tackle as Okopu pulled the trigger.

In the last 20 minutes that remained, Worksop Town stayed resolute and snookered any attack that Carlton attempted in order to take home all three points.

It was a fantastic display from the Tigers with every single body running themselves into the ground for the cause.

By Devon Cash

Attendance: 176
Goals: Smith (12’), Mitchell (14’, 45+1’); Maddison (20’p)

Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes, Niall Smith, Steve Woolley (C), Steven Wankiewicz, Matthew Reay, Max Pemberton, Danny Patterson, Connor Brunt (Jermaine Palmer), Craig Mitchell (Kyle Jordan), Lynton Karkach (Matthew Templeton)

Unused Subs: Jack Brownell, Deegan Atherton.