Worksop Town FC vs Cleethorpes Town

November 30, 2019
Score: 4 - 1

Match Report

Worksop Town stunned promotion hopefuls Cleethorpes Town with a 4-1 victory at Sandy Lane.

The Tigers ended their home ‘voodoo’ with an impressive win over third-placed Cleethorpes Town. This was Worksop’s first home league victory since the 21st August, which was also a 4-1 victory over Wisbech Town.

Worksop started the brighter, but it was Cleethorpes who had the game’s opening chance. Jon Oglesby went close with an effort which was held at the midriff of David Reay.

Reay then almost handed the visitors the lead as the goalkeeper fumbled a header back to him which allowed Scott Vernon to poke the ball towards Lewis Collins, however Deegan Atherton cleared the ball to safety.

Jack Richardson went the closest to the opener as the midfielder curled wide of the far post after being threaded through on goal by captain Alex Flett.

Lee Hill opened the scoring on this return to the club. Steven McDonnell’s cross from the left, evaded everyone in the area, but perfectly into the path of Hill who, from the edge, rifled the ball into the top right corner.

Three minutes later, Craig Mitchell doubled the Tigers’ lead as the forward connected with Ben Rhodes’ looped cross to float the ball over Theo Richardson and into the side-netting.

Cleethorpes, who were stunned by Worksop’s quick double, went close on the half hour point as Richardson carried the ball into the centre and curled the ball towards goal which was held down low by David Reay.

On the stroke of the break, Reay made a superb save keep out the Owls. After a great spell of possession, Oglesby threaded the ball towards the six-yard area where Collins rode the challenge of Steven Wankiewicz, but saw his effort parried wide by Reay. Cleethorpes kept the ball in play with Curtis Bateson whose cross was headed wide by Vernon.

Four minutes after the restart, Craig Mitchell bagged his second of the game as the forward took advantage of the ‘keeper’s heavy touch in order to poke the ball past Richardson before ushering the ball over the line.

On the hour mark, Reay produced a great save down low to keep out Josh Lacey who volleyed a clearance from a corner towards goal. The ball zipped through a host of bodies before Reay reacted quickly to hold onto the effort.

As the fog thickened, the Tigers went close with efforts from Lynton Karkach and McDonnell before adding a fourth with seven minutes remaining.

Again, Mitchell’s pressing caused problems as the forward managed to nick the ball off the ‘keeper and pull it back to the feet of McDonnell. The winger dragged his shot across goal and with the ball seemingly rolling wide, Karkach slid in to tap home on the angle.

In the final moments, Cleethorpes netted a consolation as Brody Robertson converted Wankiewicz’s miscued clearance.

The win moves the Tigers up to 11th in the league with the Tigers facing Spalding United next Saturday at Sandy Lane.

By Devon Cash


Attendance: 350

Goals: Hill (26’), Mitchell (29’, 49’), Karkach (83’); Robertson (87’)


Worksop Town: David Reay, Ben Rhodes, Lee Hill, Steven Woolley (Harry Holland), Deegan Atherton, Steven Wankiewicz, Danny Patterson (C), Jack Brownell (Connor Brunt), Craig Mitchell, Steven McDonnell, James Gregory (Lynton Karkach)

Unused Subs: Kyle Jordan, Zac Walker