Worksop Town FC vs Staveley Miners Welfare

March 25, 2017
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Worksop Town gained a point after drawing 1-1 with Staveley Miners Welfare in a very end to end game.

Staveley took an early lead in the 10th minute through Thomas Ellis, Worksop got back onto level terms after Kyle Jordan converted from five yards out after a weak clearance from Staveley goalkeeper Lewis Naylor to make it 1-1 in the 35th minute.

Worksop started the game brightly with several clever passes of play which didn’t result in any clear cut chances. Welfare came into the game more and carved out some dangerous chances which again weren’t converted. However in the 10th minute the visitors found a breakthrough when an in swinging cross came into the Tiger’s box and fell to Ellis, who headed the ball into the back of the Worksop goal to give Staveley the lead.

Three minutes later Worksop should’ve drawn level, Adam Scott made a great run down the left hand side. Scott then produced a dangerous cross beating the out stretching Naylor in goal, however the cross was an inch too far for the two Worksop players as a golden chance went begging.

Worksop kept piling the pressure on and just after the half hour mark Worksop drew level. Sam Weston took a throw in deep in the Staveley half, producing a nightmare scenario for the visitor’s goal keeper and defenders. There was a sea of players inside the ten yard box, Naylor couldn’t get a strong hand onto the ball and flapped it straight into the path of Jordan who scored from five yards out to draw the hosts level.

Worksop started the better team in the second half. In the 55th minute Jordan read a great clearance from Worksop, where the Staveley defender misjudged the height of the ball, Jordan was then through on the goal, he took the ball around the goalkeeper but missed the target which was a great chance to put them in front.
There was another good opportunity for Worksop several minutes later, Adam Scott made a dangerous run across the Welfare box and the ball fell to Leon Loftus, whose shot from 12 yards out was well saved by Naylor.

Staveley almost took the lead from danger man Ellis, after a good cross from Ashley Ransom which fell to the feet of Ellis who swivelled and blazed his shot over the Worksop bar from 10 yards.

Worksop missed another great chance to take the lead, the ball was pumped into the Staveley box and fell to in form Jordan on the half volley from 15 yards out, however his effort went over the bar.

There was almost a twist in the tale at the end, Welfare thought they should’ve taken the lead when Liam Nelthorpe created a fine cross to pick out Ellis who beat Jon Kennedy, but he couldn’t steer his shot on target. From the resulting goal kick Worksop almost nicked all three points on the counter attack, Scott got the ball midway through the Worksop half and ran at the two Staveley defenders, Jacob Rickards made a dangerous run down the left. Scott spotted the run of Rickards and fed a lovely ball to him only for Naylor to produce another fine save to keep the result 1-1.

Worksop Town line up: Kennedy, Hodder, Weston, Wankiewicz, Parkin, Loftus, Hawkins, Wesley (Rickards 77), Scott, Husbands, Jordan (C)
Unused subs: Ed Birch, Aaron Pickersgill
Goals: Jordan 35th minute
Bookings: Loftus 52nd minute
Attendance: 402

Written by Luke Atherton